Tips For Staying Motivated When Learning or Working from Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips For Staying Motivated When Learning or Working from Home

Share your tips for staying motivated when studying and working from home. What are they for you? Share your story. What does your routine look like, what does your work or study from home environment look like?

In some ways, the distraction from frat parties, travelling to and from the office or campus, getting dressed up and eating out enable the learner or staff member to be more efficient and focus. At the same time, it can present challenges to certain personality types.

The below video has received 2 million views and discusses this very topic and provides some great tips and tricks for staying motivated when working or studying from home:

I enjoyed watching this video

It does get pretty lonely working from home. I am a firm believer of work-life balance. Pre-Covid 19, I take the time off to spend time with friends and family during occassions, get-togethers or special events. I also make it a point to see friends or family during weekends for a quick catch up or coffee. But since the pandemic, we have to make do with face-time and group chats every now and then. I have made it part of my routine to check on family and friends before I start my day.

I 100% agree on - clutter makes it harder to focus. In fact, I get paralyzed when I see so much... This is why I make it a point to clean and organize the house before I start work. And since I work GY, I aim to complete all chores before work so there will be less distraction, and I can just go to sleep right after work.

A few things I were able to pick up that I would like to try is to:
    1) still dress up a bit. I think that will be a really nice picker upper. Look good to feel good
    2) face the window when working. I dunno i just think that maybe seeing a little of what's outside would be nice too.

Comment

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with facing the window while working. I mainly work in two places:

1. Living room - facing a window where I can admire my plants and the kids playing outside. It was very quiet the past two months and it's nice to see things getting back to "normal" slowly. I've even noticed what time the little birds that come to collect nectar from my flowers come.
      2. Bedroom - opaque windows do not allow me to enjoy the view so I placed plants inside so it's not so gloomy and that's where my eyes go to when it needed some rest from staring from the computer for too long.

• Skye
      Skye commented
      Editing a comment
      I used to work facing a window. But with all my neighbors stuck in their homes too, the scene is not as peaceful as it used to be. There are now people hovering in the background at all hours. Before, I just see one big empty lot. Now my neighbors always encroach on my view. hahaha...

Seriously, I moved it because I get too distracted facing the window. With homeschooling kids, I do not have time to get distracted with the view outside.

That's a nice video.

As for me, I work a nightshift WFH setup, and it fits naturally to my night owl schedule. The struggle happens when I lose time and energy for exercising and my other hobbies, considering I work at night and my creativity also peaks on that timeframe. After a while during my first few months, I suffered loss of motivation due to too much caffeine, sleeping problems, and too little exercise. However, I eventually managed to get off the rut by experimenting with particular methods and schedules to see what works and maximizes what I have. That's one basic step there, really really knowing "what you have" and refusing to wish away problems. Knowing one's true resources allows one to solve how to maximize these. Anyway:

1. Always make time for exercise. I stopped the habit of checking social media when I woke up for this. It really works in increasing mood, motivation levels, and processing levels after that 2-3 day rut. It also helps with sleep.
    2. Know your response to coffee. Generally coffee takes 12 hours to be fully eliminated from the body. You can take that into consideration when scheduling your sleep (which is very very important for motivation).
    3. Know your worst-case self and best, most ideal self. This is intrinsic and I've mentioned this in another thread. Allow the thought of your worst version to push you from behind, and let the pursuit of your best version pull from the front.
    4. Take it one hour, one email, one task, or one day at a time. Pay attention to the journey and think less of the destination. Oftentimes, overthinking and calculating, or craving the destination rubs on motivation hard.
    5. Avoid instant sugar, or don't eat fast-burning sugary food. At the end of the day, you should consider if those few minutes to an hour of a sugar-high is worth the bad sugar crash that follows (and lasts longer). It's also better for your health.

Comment

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with taking time to exercise. Before the quarantine, I was in a zumba class. When the quarantine started and classes were canceled, I started jogging. But then, they prohibited that as well. I noticed that I had less energy when I didn't exercise; I was less focused at work and was doing tasks slower. Now, I do a bit of exercise at home not only for my physical but mental health as well. That increase in "happy hormones" when we exercise also affects productivity.

Thanks for sharing that video. Such a great help especially during this pandemic.

A lot of people are struggling to work from home because they were used to work around other people in the office. I am the kind of person who works better at home, I love the fact that I don't have to spend so many hours on the road because of the traffic jam. I have worked from home for nearly a year and here are the things that kept me motivated:
    a) I always take note of what I have to do for the day. I schedule not only my work hours but also my time before and after work.
    b) Getting ready. I love dressing up because it gives me the confidence and the urge to finish something. As much as possible, I try to get ready at the start of the day.
    c) Have a break! For me, during my lunch break, I do what I can to re-energize. It depends on the mood for the day, really. Sometimes I take a quick exercise or a nap.

Comment

Insightful video. Really practical tips I may need to try some time.

I am a single mom, "trapped" at home with two kids. Working from home is a challenge since I am now in an environment that does not have the WORK feel. You got kids running around, you see a pile of laundry, there's the vacuum cleaner. It's really not the ideal. Too many distractions.

But these distractions also keep me motivated to keep working. Because they are the reasons why I am working.

So it's a matter of perspective. Instead of seeing all these non-work people and things around you as distractions, see them as your inspiration to get things done.

Comment

• mjmnl
        mjmnl commented
        Editing a comment
        Being with your family is a major motivation when learning or working from home. Like what you mentioned, seeing them and just being together at home makes you inspired and motivated. You can also build a stronger bond with your family since you don't have to leave your house. You also don't need to worry about getting home late and not having time to chat or play with your kids. It's nice to hear that working from home works well for you both despite having your kids playing around you.

I've come across this article, it's a list of tips for parents who work from home with their kids. I hope it helps: https://open.buffer.com/integrating-...ing-home-kids/

• GladysMae
        GladysMae commented
        Editing a comment
        The article confirmed that I am, more or less, on the right track. hahahaha... I really share my schedule with them and telI them that I am not their house mom when I am working. Thank you for sharing that, mjmnl.

Kamille, I wish my kids have tiny giggles. They are more like guffaws here. I think I am raising cavemen. But I do get more distracted when they are awfully quiet. It usually spells out disaster and a lot of cleaning -- which translate to more time off work, again. Work rhythm is really off these days.

• kdy
        kdy commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess I am a bit different. I lose momentum easily so clutter or unfinished household chore can paralyze me. hahaha. I have kids too, and they're not so little anymore, but the demands are basically the same. And yes, they are the motivation that I continue to work, but they do get me distracted and work became harder that way. It took time for me to find balance. I've learned to let go of the need to be a mom 24x7. Don't get me wrong. We are moms 24x7, but catering to their every need even while at work is no longer a must . It took time for them to process that too. In fact they are still processing it. There are still times when I have to step away from work/ But so far, aside from getting more focus, i see that they are also starting to become more self reliant.

I can relate to her getting ready for work, even when work is just a few steps away from your bed. I've read about people joking about not showering since they don't go out anyway. I still make it a point to get up, get dressed and get ready even when I can literally just roll over and turn my laptop on and start my day. Just getting ready for work puts me in the right mindset.

Comment

• mjmnl
        mjmnl commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here, Bjun! Sometimes I dress up like how I dress up in the outside world, I even put makeup whenever I have more time to prepare. Haha! I've also stocked up on fancy pajamas because there are days when I just wanted to work in a comfortable outfit. Although, during those days I make sure that I will never work anywhere near the bed. It's really knowing what works for you so that you can be productive all day. It's definitely trial and error.
        Last edited by mjmnl; 06-17-2020, 07:23 AM.

After years of working from home, I learned that its important to stay active. As Buddha says, "the mind and body are interlinked". Its easy to fall into sedentary lifestyle with work being just a few steps away from the kitchen and bathroom, and this can ruin your discipline. I always try to do desk workout as much as I can during my break. It's also an effective way of keeping me awake and alert since I'm trying to reduce my caffeine intake.

I also agree that its helpful to "dress the part". Its a psychological fact that we adopt the characteristics associated with our garments. I wear a nice dress when I feel like it, or sometimes a full make up to help me feel more confident. I try to avoid wearing overly comfortable pajamas during work hours as I noticed that I tend to be a bit more sleepy when I do. What you wear can truly affect your mood.

During hectic hours, I listen to calming sounds of rainfalls or a nice jazz instrumental song I find online. I especially like the ones with saxophones. I understand that this can be distracting to some, but I find it soothing and I tend to be more productive with a little mood enhancer.

Oh and 1 more thing: practice gratitude. Imagine the transport cost and traffic jam we are avoiding! Remember your goal and always start your day with the best attitude.
      Last edited by Kamille; 05-14-2020, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• mjmnl
        mjmnl commented
        Editing a comment
        Same thoughts Kamille 😅 I thought just laying down on my bed would relax my muscles and help relieve the muscle aches. It does take up such an effort for me before I exercise. So sometimes, I just rely on simple exercises targetting the areas that have tension. I saw this video on youtube (https://youtu.be/JvaKazwdciY) that focuses on the shoulder area which I find the most painful on a daily basis. Very simple and we can definitely do anytime anywhere.

• Kamille
        Kamille commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for sharing that video mjmnl. I did most of the exercises mentioned and it definitely release some tensions on my shoulders! If it helps, I usually do follow this yoga video for neck, shoulders and upper back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vTJHUDB5ak and sometimes, I try to follow her other yoga videos (well, as much as I can lol). Incorporating these physical activities on my everyday routine really do improve my mental and physical health. These work-from-home hacks may be simple, but they do make a difference when it comes to our health, motivation and quality of work.

• mjmnl
        mjmnl commented
        Editing a comment
        Kudos for having the motivation to do the workouts and yoga. I'm still trying to force myself to really be active consistently. I lack the motivation to continue what I started then stopping for a long period just got me lazier to start again. I guess I'm just waiting for another major backache before I get going again. Haha! It has been almost 2 months since I stopped exercising and it does not feel good, to be honest. I hope you continue and make it your habit

Space, the final frontier (yeah, just got off the Star Trek collection!)..is also the first. If you think about it, you've assigned spaces in you home, your mind, even your emotions! Well, if you haven't then you should..right away! Relationships grow because there is space. Work is divided into 'spaces' and you just freak out when personal and/or professional spaces are 'invaded'. Even forgiveness needs space (and time..lots of time..but that's for another time --get it? ).

I get the window too! I've got one and the quick glance away from the (i just did..glance into the green haha) screen creates that mental space as much as the physical to put in thoughts and reorder mental tasks. Being mindful of our spaces and how WFH has expanded that work-space leads me to appreciate the flexibility..contrast that to factory workers where every inch literally becomes 'revenue' in so much time AND space productivity.

Comment

I always remember my "why". I work to provide for my family. Putting my family first helps me find joy in my work. I also make a list of things that make me smile. I strive to stay positive and steer clear of all the negativity at work, on social media, the news...

I turn to work as an expression of gratitude. I list down all the things that I am thankful for. it's that simple! I also reward myself for enduring the day by doing things that I really love like reading, binge watching Netflix, good food!

I read somewhere that getting some sunshine gives you 'happy hormones' but I think that's how to motivate yourself for a workout...probabaly good for regular work too!

Comment

• Kamille
          Kamille commented
          Editing a comment
          I couldn't agree more. Gratitude is a powerful thing. The fact that I still have a job during this pandemic has a huge impact on my motivation to do better with my work. On days that I feel down, I take a break and take some time to appreciate everything I have and the things I still want to achieve. Rewarding can also create positive reinforcement. Celebrating small wins and giving yourself treats for a job well done, or just pulling through a week of heavy projects, will keep you from burning out. And come on, who doesn't love Netflix and good food after a long day of work?
          Last edited by Kamille; 06-22-2020, 03:26 PM.

• mjmnl
          mjmnl commented
          Editing a comment
          Such great points you both got here. With all the bad news that we receive on a daily basis because of this pandemic, we always have to remember why we have to continue living. There are a lot of people out there battling with the virus and the economic crisis. We have to be grateful for the fact that we are blessed and we are safe working or studying at home. These are uncontrollable variables and there's nothing much that we can do about it. So we just play our part by staying safe at home. Hopefully, one day, the world can defeat this virus and get back to normal again.

The savings and the comfort plus now the safety from getting the Coronavirus is what keeps my mind at ease with homebased work or those that are remote in nature. Thinking of where people come from or who they interact directly or indirectly on their way to the office or home is scary!

Comment

• mjmnl
          mjmnl commented
          Editing a comment
          I still feel this even after all these months since the start of the pandemic. I can't even imagine how other people can conveniently go out just to eat what they are craving for. Maybe their bold or I am just too paranoid. Haha! Like what the vlogger mentioned, not everyone can do their job remotely and it is such a privilege that we can work from home. Numbers of offices have opened now and there has been news that the cases increased tremendously after the economy opened again. So, yes, this is easily one of the motivations that kept me going and enjoying working from home.

Knowing you still have a home and staying acutely aware of this good state is a strong motivator. Contrasting that to the growing difficulty of millions unable to fulfill their jobs makes it even more powerful. Creating value and actively finding ways to maybe create those workfromhome opportunities will cement that internal motivation permanent.

Comment

Working from home life hacks. There is no end in sight yet so best make the best out of things.
          “After weeks of working from home, pain and eyestrain are setting in. @BethDeCarbo has ergonomics tips to help. #WSJWhatsNow https://t.co/W9aSysThmC https://t.co/oy8rRYnDSb”

Comment

• mjmnl
            mjmnl commented
            Editing a comment
            Even though we're working from home, there are still hazards present. Ergonomic hazards are the most common ones and your link shows some tips to avoid or at least control these. I've been working from home for almost a year now and it was just recently when I realized that I need to have a proper working space. I realized it because I started feeling muscle sores, back pain, and eye strain. I bought a laptop stand and a proper work desk. I also did what is advised in the video like sitting on a cushion or a pillow. It really made a huge difference from my older setup and slowly, my body is feeling better.

Check this link for other ergonomic hazards that we may not even realize until now: https://safetylineloneworker.com/blo...es-ergonomics/

Just as the pretty lady in the video said, it's really a struggle getting out of bed when you work from home. Especially during bed weather! All I want to do is cuddle with my pillow and sleep on my bed all day.

Working from home is not new to me since I've been doing it for a while. However, when I transitioned to a job with voice tasks, it was a bit of a struggle as I need to have my dedicated workspace and I need to train my children to have a new routine so I am able to work properly without unnecessary distractions. It took us some time to get used to the new routine, but it all worked out in the end.

Determination is key. It can be overwhelming at times, especially if you have toddlers. But you can always train them and have them go with a routine. It may take some time but a little patience goes a long way and its all worth it in the end.

Comment

• Kamille
            Kamille commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree. I also have toddlers and it really helps to have a working space to mentally separate mom role to professional role. Creating a routine will help the kids get accustomed to know when they can approach me and when I am busy. It takes time, but once they got into the routine, they'll begin to understand that your work is important and they too will share the same values towards your work.

I recently saw this video online that directly tackles the motivation problem. Though it covers other areas or situations wherein motivation is involved, it can speak volumes to those learning or working from home. I think some of the key points are the following:

1. Motivation and mood are usual buzzwords, overused these days.
          2. Discipline and conscious independent effort is key.
          3. Don't set impossible goals.
          4. The light that shines the brightest generally is the first one to burn out.
          5. Make behavior-based modifications when it comes to habits, contrary to goal-based actions. Pay attention to the journey and the quality of it over obsessing on some impossible goal.

Comment

• stan
            stan commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice video dude! I enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing.

• mjmnl
            mjmnl commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for sharing the video. It really matters how we set out our goals. As we have learned in our business subjects, it is always good to create SMART goals. It is also very useful in working and learning from home. We can always set the standards for ourselves depending on our lives or wherever stage we are. As I have mentioned in other forum threads, I enrolled in multiple online classes before. I never thought about the time and effort needed to complete all the courses and I ended up wasting all others and just finishing 1 course. Setting impossible goals is crazy and will just make you pressured and stressed out.

Understanding and appreciating the value that I deliver through my work keeps me motivated. Knowing that the work I chose to do makes unseen ripples in the lives of those whom I serve keeps me alert even inspired. It wasn't always like that. Feedback, sharings, the occassional years-in-the-making 'thank you' from clients built this conviction and keeps me motivated.

Comment

• Kamille
            Kamille commented
            Editing a comment
            I can not agree more! The appreciation and recognition for a job well done is a highly effective motivation. Having an opportunity to be a part of something that is bigger than myself has a huge impact on my drive to work harder everyday. And receiving positive feedback? Now that's just priceless.
            Last edited by Kamille; 06-03-2020, 01:08 PM.

• mjmnl
            mjmnl commented
            Editing a comment
            I can relate Definitely one of the many things that keep me going. There is a sense of fulfilment in knowing that your clients are satisfied with the services that you give them. Imagine, we are just doing our daily job then the customers appreciate our work and even acknowledge it as a big part of their life. Positive feedback gives me joy and energy while working but I also use negative feedback as another motivation to improve the service that I provide them. It gives me a reason to prove that I can do better day by day.

• Kamille
            Kamille commented
            Editing a comment
            You're right mjmnl. While positive feedback provide optimistic motivation, it is also important to actively listen to negative feedback. I appreciate negative feedback as I see it as my superiors trying to help me improve. Recognizing mistakes and shortcomings will push us to monitor our performances and alert us on the changes we need to make. There is always something more to learn, and improve. Its what we do after we recognize the negative feedback that makes the difference.
            Last edited by Kamille; 06-12-2020, 02:10 PM.
        Working...
        X