No announcement yet.

Tips For Staying Motivated When Learning or Working from Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music. I listen to music to start my day. I choose music that will get me in the mood to work or study or to just to get me through the day. I don't know if you can call it motivation. But it is something that helps me start and finish what I have to do.

Comment

• jcoppi29
      jcoppi29 commented
      Editing a comment
      @skye

A musical youtuber, Adam Neely, mentioned why there's this innate divisiveness when it comes to what's the best music and his findings were nice and explained lots of things. It turns out that what most people consider as their favorite, or best choices for musical taste are genres or bands they heard around the ages of 12-18 years old. This means, whoever our parents or grandparents or our siblings and cousins prefer depends on their musical exposure in that age.

It further expands in the neuropsychological side of things -- long-term memory and memory in general is strongly enhanced by the presence of strong emotions that comes with the experience -- yano, like, why in relationship cycles, it's mostly the high highs and low lows that will be retained after a lot of years have gone by. It's the most of every emotion that gets recalled the sharpest.

The same applies for music it seems -- the songs that may have dragged us out of particular dark times in our lives or happy times for that matter posses the most meaning, as it does for most people. Because experience varies and is very subjective, I guess we can say, musical taste is relative to that.

• Skye
      Skye commented
      Editing a comment
      jcoppi29, I guess it can also explain my distaste for music that were my exes' favorites. hahaha... that cringey feeling you get when you hear those songs. Memories associated with strong emotions. Unfortunately, instead of dragging you out of dark times, it dragged you into those dark times. hahaha....

• jcoppi29
      jcoppi29 commented
      Editing a comment
      @Skye

Oh boy. Yeahs. That happens. Each ex having that heartbreak/honeymoon playlist. I have my own share of such songs, I just parody them out to mock my older less mature version so people dont think I'm totally over it lmao

I have worked from home for almost a year now and I could say that this is the best setting for my lifestyle and preference. However, the effectiveness of this remote work varies from person to person and may not work especially to those who get energy from their colleagues.

I could not agree more with this article (https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/17/neve...-10-years.html). If you are new to working or studying from home, you can learn from this expert's mistakes and follow his tips for a harmonious and productive life. It has similarities with the tips shared in the video which proves that these actions are truly working.

Comment

• Kamille
      Kamille commented
      Editing a comment
      I started working from home years ago and I was guilty of working from the couch. I made it my goal to set up a home office and I instantly felt the difference. I become more productive and more enthusiastic to start my shift. Sitting in my home office chair feels like a mental cue for me that its time for work. It also creates boundaries between work and personal life, which is highly effective for work from home parents like me.

• mjmnl
      mjmnl commented
      Editing a comment
      It really does make a difference when there is a separate space for work. Like what the lady in the video mentioned, it is also good to set some rules for yourself. Keep your workspace exclusively for work matters only so that you'll stay focused. It worked for me, I put my phone away when I'm working but I keep it in ring mode so that I would know if there is an important call. I also turn off my notification for some apps that I think will make me want to use my phone during work hours.

I found an interesting post while browsing on social media last weekend. It says its impossible for us to stay motivated 24/7; what's more important is we stay disciplined. We don't need to wait until we "feel like doing our tasks". We should do it anyway. Its cutting the link between feelings and action. You'll be surprised how the sense of accomplishment after a task done can get you motivated.
    We have to learn how to keep going even when we run out of motivation. We have to always, always show up. Here is a good read I found online https://www.wisdomination.com/screw-...is-discipline/

Comment

• Indelible_Mark
      Indelible_Mark commented
      Editing a comment
      I tend to agree with the discipline part. Motivation like happiness is largely -if not entirely- by choice. Choosing to complete tasks and in a timely manner is generally motivation enough for me. Good find on that nice article Kamille

This pandemic has pushed more people into starting new hobbies or rekindling their old ones. May it be baking, writing, scrap booking or wood-crafting, it is an effective distraction from all the stress of this pandemic. Spending time doing something you enjoy will break your routines and will boost your motivation while working at home. Here's a good read for all the benefits of starting new hobbies during this pandemic https://www.clozette.co/article/new-...ria-micha-6898 .

Comment

• jcoppi29
      jcoppi29 commented
      Editing a comment
      I feel so attacked lmao. It is true, the pandemic had led me to revisit my many many forgotten hobbies related to music, pc gaming, and more, even voice acting. These are things that I haven't done or have given up on for a good ten years. I didn't expect the pandemic to push me this way though, as it does others.

• mjmnl
      mjmnl commented
      Editing a comment
      This is so true!! I have been doing business since I was in college. I stopped though when I was doing my masters abroad and never did it again until the start of this pandemic. It might be weird for others that selling goods is one of my hobbies. But I find pleasure doing it and I only do it during my leisure time. It makes me more productive. It's a little handy too, as it also helps the family go through this pandemic without being too uptight with the finances.

I think its also important to note the bad habits we should stop/avoid doing. I found this list and I realized that even though I try to follow all the tips everyone mentioned here, I still have some less-than-ideal habits. Here is a list I found online https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/bad...abits-36865325
    Do you still do some of these things? The article mentioned some tips on how to fix them, too!

Comment

True mjmnl, I also love selling goods. Even when I was in elementary, I already enjoyed selling whatever I can sell. I think I find pleasure in knowing that once I am able to sell my products, I will earn and my bank account will grow bigger. Hahahhaha. This pandemic, I'm back to selling but only online since I can't really go out that much. Cheers to money-making hobbies 🤣🤣🤣

Comment

• Kamille
        Kamille commented
        Editing a comment
        I decluttered the house and started selling them online during the start of the lockdown. I saved space around the house, earned a little, and its eco-friendly too. I have friends who lost their jobs or their business was put on hold because of the pandemic, and it makes me proud to see them make a few more bucks by selling their home cooked meals and some DIY stuff online. Turning hobbies into profit really helps during these times. And supporting these small businesses goes a long way.
        Last edited by Kamille; 03-30-2021, 12:05 PM.

It's been a year since the pandemic started. Have you guys gotten used to working from home or are you still struggling on how to be motivated?

Comment

• Kamille
        Kamille commented
        Editing a comment
        I worked from home way before the pandemic, so my life did not make any drastic change as compared to others. Adjusting was not very difficult for me, though I do miss going on vacations with my kids and occasionally going out for coffee and drinks. But other than that, my life is practically the same. I just noticed that I appreciate my backyard space now more than ever. When I need an extra dose of motivation, I just grab my laptop and work from there. Its surprisingly effective for me.
        Last edited by Kamille; 03-26-2021, 11:28 AM.

• Lou
        Lou commented
        Editing a comment
        I've gotten used to it, I guess. But, I need more sleep!!! Having a baby during this pandemic is both a blessing and a curse. I'm still happy though 'coz I get to spend more time with my kids and our new bundle of joy. But it's definitely not all rainbows and flowers especially when baby starts fuzzing and I am tired and sleepy and all worked out.😴😴😴

• Kamille
        Kamille commented
        Editing a comment
        Lou I can imagine, specially when you have to entertain the baby indoors all the time instead of taking the baby to the park. I hope you're getting enough sleep for your productivity and mental health too. It can be draining with sleep deprivation. We have to take care of ourselves in order to take care of the little ones too.

A lot of countries have opened up their economy already. Here's one of the news I watched last month: https://www.voanews.com/episode/life...ctions-4705741
      Some countries are "Mask-free", classes are already face to face, parties are allowed, and a lot more normal stuff! It's kinda hard to accept that we are far from having that life now in my country. The vaccination rate is barely 5% of the population. I feel so frustrated and hopeless. Anyone here feels the same? How do you deal with this?

Comment

• Kamille
        Kamille commented
        Editing a comment
        Frustration is an understatement for me. What I did is I stopped watching the news. I was extremely stressed and my anxiety was in an all time high and doing so helped my mental health somehow. I only read headlines now to stay updated but I don't read through it as much as I used to. I guess its true. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
    Working...
    X