Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Shift to Remote Teaching Be Boon or Bane for Online Learning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Shift to Remote Teaching Be Boon or Bane for Online Learning?

I just read a very interesting article on this topic: https://www.insidehighered.com/digit...nline-learning

What will the difference be with technology-based learning rapidly taking hold? Especially in post-Corona Virus world? On-campus will become more blended and online learning will become more common than on campus. Those are my predictions for the next 10 years. 10 years ago distance learning barely exited. Today it is playing a leading role in education and training. What are your thoughts? Where do you see it going? What are your experiences?

Interesting article! Thank you for sharing. We used a blended approach during college and it made learning easier and more convenient for us. Personally, I think that the effects of this pandemic will be longer than what we all anticipated and we cannot go back to the normal pre-COVID life. As this may be the case, tools and platforms have been evolving to cater to the needs of the students. Moreover, these updates make learning more interactive and interesting.

I came across this insightful article written by an instructor himself (https://www.forbes.com/sites/enrique.../#1c78e944dfe8), he indicated that interactions are far better when more advanced tools are used. There is even a testimony that the platform used in a university's online education has a higher satisfaction rate than the usual face-to-face learning. That's insane! That is why I really believe that online learning is here to stay. New learning platforms will be created in the next few years and it will make the industry cope with whatever situation we'll face.

Comment

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. Online learning is definitely here to stay and this pandemic has pushed developers to create a more interactive learning platforms, which will not only cater those that go to university/college but the younger students as well. It would be interesting to see how schools and universities are going to work around the practical side of the course as not all courses can be done entirely online.

I think it would depend on the course you'll be taking. For some courses, it would be easy to transition to online and blended-learning. When I think back on my college days, however, when more than half of the time was spent in the chem lab, I find it difficult to imagine the transition to online learning.

Comment

That is true Bjun. For some courses, face-to-face learning is a must, especially for medical courses, engineering courses, and the likes. Remote learning will be beneficial for other courses, but definitely not all. Maybe the face-to-face classes will be minimized, but not entirely zeroed out. Right now, due to the pandemic, as a parent, I still don't know what to expect with the proposed blended learning for my kids. It's too early to tell, but, we'll see.🤞🤞🤞

Comment

• Bjun
        Bjun commented
        Editing a comment
        So, it's been 2 months and classes has started. Do you think online learning is feasible even for the younger students? I have nieces in all levels: primary, high school and uni. The high school and uni students require less supervision but online learning for my 7yo niece is quite a challenge. Supervision is really required.

Some adults may find it difficult to focus while working from home and it's like 10x more difficult for the kid to focus on her online studies. It's really a challenge for schools and universities to come up with more interactive learning platforms, I guess.

• kdy
        kdy commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree. Since school started, I have not had the chance to really focus on other tasks at home other than to supervise and teach my younger son. I am not happy with the online schooling of young children. More than the time it takes away from everyone concerned, I am more disappointed that the emphasis is merely on compliance rather than learning.

• kdy
        kdy commented
        Editing a comment
        The first 3 weeks in school was like the perfect storm, and so I decided to move my son to another school. My only take away in all this is - schools will have different ways, styles and mission-vision. And though our child has gone to the same school since he started, given the new circumstance, we should reassess our child's learning needs. We need to check whether the new platform being offered suits them. Otherwise, it would be a complete waste of energy, money and time for both you and your child to still go to the same school.

I'd think it would be more of Boon. Considering the current circumstances surrounding us, remote teaching and online learning will go hand in hand. There have been plenty of free resources online, but these generally lack that personal factor for those that prefer that. Both can be complementary serving each other's inadequacies with its own adequacies -- a nice balance of fall points and strong points.

And, not to mention, companies would like this because Data is pricier than oil these days. *wears tinfoil*

Comment

Definitely boon.

As with any change, there is bound to be resistance. This pandemic has drastically hastened changes to our modes of learning and teaching. Not everyone can keep up. Not everyone is equipped to keep up.

But in the long run, it is definitely an advantage. We are moving towards the future. Forward. And there really is no going back after this, no matter how much we try. Remote teaching and learning are here to stay.

Comment

Definitely boon for first world countries. Am worried for the developing countries though - where access to internet is poor especially in provinces or remote areas, where the majority of the student population hardly have access to basic needs, and where schools barely have the capability to provide sufficient tools and facilities for effective learning. How they're going to cope with technology-based education is a big question for me.

Comment

• Kamille
            Kamille commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree. I'm worried for those who do not have the means to cope with education's new normal, considering the effects of the pandemic with the economy. A lot of people lost their jobs and were thrust into poverty almost overnight. With everyone on online classes, both instructors and students, they need to purchase new computers to support their education and work. I can't help but think about the extra expense for online devices especially for those who have multiple kids. Sharing devices is not an option when classes are on the same schedule.
            Last edited by Kamille; 06-30-2020, 01:28 PM.

• mjmnl
            mjmnl commented
            Editing a comment
            Your opinion is supported by this article from weforum.org (https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/...ital-learning/). Online learning will definitely be successful in well-developed countries as the majority of the population has the capability to purchase their own computer units. Also, their internet connection is faster and won't be a hindrance to the online classes. As compared to developing countries like Indonesia wherein only 34% of the population owns a computer system. It's a sad fact but there is nothing much we can do about it. We just hope that in the future, the standard of living will be more desirable in these countries so that the future generation will have a better life.

I think boon, but its not for everyone. There are a number of advantages and disadvantages of shifting to online learning, not just for the students but for the faculties as well. https://www.insidehighered.com/digit...nstructors-and Not everyone is digitally literate, or has an access to an internet. However, I think mobility and accessibility of education is the future. And online learning will definitely change education as we know it.

Comment

• sammie83
            sammie83 commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree. Not for everyone but I can see it really become one of the main ways of learning in the future. Its already hear. Many on-campus classes have blended learnign already in one way or another which is online learning in part.

• Kamille
            Kamille commented
            Editing a comment
            I totally agree. I think that's one of the biggest advantages of online learning. Learning through your course while getting a lot of practice with computer features, like online presentations, microsoft apps or just simply navigating through the web. Not everyone has the skills for accurate online researching, but its a skill students will develop throughout their course. These skills will come in handy in the future. Digital literacy is now essential as we are definitely entering a new level of normal.

• mjmnl
            mjmnl commented
            Editing a comment
            Digital literacy is really important nowadays. Not just since this pandemic started, but ever since the internet has been born and kept on upgrading. I still remember not having internet on a daily basis because it's still expensive and requires a dial-up connection. Smartphones are also fairly new but have been evolving rapidly.

Technology is already a part of our lives and just like smartphones, I am quite sure that education platforms will also develop into a tool that we'll all benefit and might be something that we have never imagined being invented. We'll never know, there may be a person on some part of this world doing something genius and might change online education forever.

Harvard goes online, tuition costs unchanged. Students will study online. What a shift! Even the old traditional schools have been forced teach online

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...pogeRFz1bZXd-A

Comment

• mjmnl
            mjmnl commented
            Editing a comment
            No one can really escape this pandemic. However, I do think that paying the full tuition fee during this pandemic isn’t worthwhile. Well, that’s just my opinion. We are not talking about a small amount here. One semester at Harvard costs $26,984. That’s crazy for an online-based education only.

Students have a choice to skip the coming semester specially if they think that online learning is not effective for them. Other online courses are available now at a cheaper rate if they really want to make use of their time improving their knowledge and skills.
            Last edited by mjmnl; 07-13-2020, 08:01 AM.

Online learning is growing without a doubt but what is even more interesting is that working from home is a trend that is growing just as quickly. Just take a look at the below chart and note this is pre-COVID times. So the trend was already picking up speed. I can only imagine that in the past 4 or so months it has risen sharply risen.

Click image for larger version  Name:	share-of-americans-working-from-home-remote-work.png Views:	1 Size:	13.2 KB ID:	945

Comment

The UK work from home figures shows a massive spike. While many will return to work I imagine many companies will realize that they don't need a big office and will downsize

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	947

Comment

• mjmnl
              mjmnl commented
              Editing a comment
              I still remember the time when working from home and working 4 days a week was being proposed to the National Labor authorities in our country. Now, we have to comply with the orders of the government to work from home if it is not essential to go out for work. Personally, I was rooting for the approval of work from home and 4 days work week policy pre-COVID times. I believe that this will promote work-life balance and would help to lessen the company’s cost at some point like what you have mentioned. Well, of course, it can only be applied to some sectors and effectiveness will vary on the company’s practices and the people.

Is there really such a thing as 'remote teaching'? In an age where youtube is the go-to for video 'lessons' I even think there is no such thing as a shift.

In fact the concept (and practice) of a school that's outside a four-walled room has been there since the early 1980's. Technology in the last decade merely made it all more efficient, convenient, and because of a pandemic..safe.

Entertaining a 'boon or bane' question implies a dichotomy where there is none. If anything, this remote teacher idea is merely a forced move to keep the traditional delivery 'alive' when in fact it will die out simply because the live person can no longer compete with the more entertaining recorded 'adventure learning' platforms already in the wild. You can even bet there will be a rise in 'gamifying' learning just to keep online learners engaged! So much for the boon or bane --just saying.

Comment

• stan
              stan commented
              Editing a comment
              I believe what your saying is certainly the way fo the future. The gamification of education has already begun. Engagement is obviously one of the larger challenges when it comes to distance learning.

• JerryYan
              JerryYan commented
              Editing a comment
              Gamification doesn't make the whole learning experience sound too simple? Or maybe it IS that simple. What about professionals then? The young adults of today will soon be the professionals..not everything can be treated like a game. Sounds misleading though I do get how gaming platforms can actually be lessons on history, critical thinking, and creativity.

• jcoppi29
              jcoppi29 commented
              Editing a comment
              JerryYan

gamification generally means infusing lessons into a particular gaming environment to boost engagement and interest in a topic. In my case, for example, I learned English very early because I accidentally started playing Starcraft (an old war game) at the age of 8 -- its script and dialogue taught me early on, alongside other games that have scripts.

The Assassin's Creed series also has plenty of references for particular periods of time, though not fully accurate. It sparked the interest though for many people when it came to church history, egyptian lore, or wherever a setting is placed in.

Games with chats included also account for most of the high-wpm types in the youth, not to mention, the highly precise hand-eye coordination most of the youth already has. Multitasking and prioritization skills are also developed in strategy type games that sometimes add pressure and time limits, making the thought process faculty develop into something honed.

The list goes on.

I may still have a thing for traditional learning but if it is cheaper (offsetting home improvement costs such as designated space for study/learning, getting a better internet speed/provider, etc...) option, saving the environment from burning fossil fuels and TRAFFIC then let's go for it.

Comment

• JerryYan
              JerryYan commented
              Editing a comment
              This is true. There are environmental perks to the shift to remote learning. There are a variety of ways to improve distance learning and sticking to the usual presentation of slides would only make it stagnant, and plain.

I've watched this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JKgUoY9pTg) from Ted Talks about Online learning. It was a movement before to maximise the use of online learning. And look at the world now... everyone is using online learning not only because it is budget-friendly and effective but because we are required to.

Like working from home, studying online also doesn't work for everybody. One reason is that not all people have access to the resources needed for studying online. There are countries with a poor but expensive internet connection which affects the studying experience of the students. Another reason is the fact that techniques and skills in some industries are better taught face to face or through first-hand experience. Both have pros and cons and are effective in their own ways.

Comment

• Indelible_Mark
              Indelible_Mark commented
              Editing a comment
              That was a good future past talk indeed. Glad to know there are still those who see the future for what it is..pandemic or otherwise. Kids are smarter today that we were at the same age! Goodness knows what other radical changes will come around that proverbial corner.

The experience of distance learning is different for everyone. Here is a survey from teachers and parents' experience on how education's new normal went over the months since the lockdown. https://www.chalkbeat.org/2020/6/26/...achers-parents It says the educators were right to worry that remote learning would exacerbate inequities. Access to the internet, available online learning devices and the students' engagement are just some of the challenges.

Comment

Working...
            X