Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Shift to Remote Teaching Be Boon or Bane for Online Learning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Shift to Remote Teaching Be Boon or Bane for Online Learning?

I just read a very interesting article on this topic: https://www.insidehighered.com/digit...nline-learning

What will the difference be with technology-based learning rapidly taking hold? Especially in post-Corona Virus world? On-campus will become more blended and online learning will become more common than on campus. Those are my predictions for the next 10 years. 10 years ago distance learning barely exited. Today it is playing a leading role in education and training. What are your thoughts? Where do you see it going? What are your experiences?

Interesting article! Thank you for sharing. We used a blended approach during college and it made learning easier and more convenient for us. Personally, I think that the effects of this pandemic will be longer than what we all anticipated and we cannot go back to the normal pre-COVID life. As this may be the case, tools and platforms have been evolving to cater to the needs of the students. Moreover, these updates make learning more interactive and interesting.

I came across this insightful article written by an instructor himself (https://www.forbes.com/sites/enrique.../#1c78e944dfe8), he indicated that interactions are far better when more advanced tools are used. There is even a testimony that the platform used in a university's online education has a higher satisfaction rate than the usual face-to-face learning. That's insane! That is why I really believe that online learning is here to stay. New learning platforms will be created in the next few years and it will make the industry cope with whatever situation we'll face.

Comment

I think it would depend on the course you'll be taking. For some courses, it would be easy to transition to online and blended-learning. When I think back on my college days, however, when more than half of the time was spent in the chem lab, I find it difficult to imagine the transition to online learning.

Comment

That is true Bjun. For some courses, face-to-face learning is a must, especially for medical courses, engineering courses, and the likes. Remote learning will be beneficial for other courses, but definitely not all. Maybe the face-to-face classes will be minimized, but not entirely zeroed out. Right now, due to the pandemic, as a parent, I still don't know what to expect with the proposed blended learning for my kids. It's too early to tell, but, we'll see.🤞🤞🤞

Comment

I'd think it would be more of Boon. Considering the current circumstances surrounding us, remote teaching and online learning will go hand in hand. There have been plenty of free resources online, but these generally lack that personal factor for those that prefer that. Both can be complementary serving each other's inadequacies with its own adequacies -- a nice balance of fall points and strong points.

And, not to mention, companies would like this because Data is pricier than oil these days. *wears tinfoil*

Comment

Definitely boon.

As with any change, there is bound to be resistance. This pandemic has drastically hastened changes to our modes of learning and teaching. Not everyone can keep up. Not everyone is equipped to keep up.

But in the long run, it is definitely an advantage. We are moving towards the future. Forward. And there really is no going back after this, no matter how much we try. Remote teaching and learning are here to stay.

Comment

Definitely boon for first world countries. Am worried for the developing countries though - where access to internet is poor especially in provinces or remote areas, where the majority of the student population hardly have access to basic needs, and where schools barely have the capability to provide sufficient tools and facilities for effective learning. How they're going to cope with technology-based education is a big question for me.

Comment

• Kamille
                Kamille commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree. I'm worried for those who do not have the means to cope with education's new normal, considering the effects of the pandemic with the economy. A lot of people lost their jobs and were thrust into poverty almost overnight. With everyone on online classes, both instructors and students, they need to purchase new computers to support their education and work. I can't help but think about the extra expense for online devices especially for those who have multiple kids. Sharing devices is not an option when classes are on the same schedule.
                Last edited by Kamille; 06-30-2020, 01:28 PM.

I think boon, but its not for everyone. There are a number of advantages and disadvantages of shifting to online learning, not just for the students but for the faculties as well. https://www.insidehighered.com/digit...nstructors-and Not everyone is digitally literate, or has an access to an internet. However, I think mobility and accessibility of education is the future. And online learning will definitely change education as we know it.

Comment

• sammie83
                sammie83 commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree. Not for everyone but I can see it really become one of the main ways of learning in the future. Its already hear. Many on-campus classes have blended learnign already in one way or another which is online learning in part.

• Kamille
                Kamille commented
                Editing a comment
                I totally agree. I think that's one of the biggest advantages of online learning. Learning through your course while getting a lot of practice with computer features, like online presentations, microsoft apps or just simply navigating through the web. Not everyone has the skills for accurate online researching, but its a skill students will develop throughout their course. These skills will come in handy in the future. Digital literacy is now essential as we are definitely entering a new level of normal.

• mjmnl
                mjmnl commented
                Editing a comment
                Digital literacy is really important nowadays. Not just since this pandemic started, but ever since the internet has been born and kept on upgrading. I still remember not having internet on a daily basis because it's still expensive and requires a dial-up connection. Smartphones are also fairly new but have been evolving rapidly.

Technology is already a part of our lives and just like smartphones, I am quite sure that education platforms will also develop into a tool that we'll all benefit and might be something that we have never imagined being invented. We'll never know, there may be a person on some part of this world doing something genius and might change online education forever.

Harvard goes online, tuition costs unchanged. Students will study online. What a shift! Even the old traditional schools have been forced teach online

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...pogeRFz1bZXd-A

Comment

Working...
              X