Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Shift to Remote Teaching Be Boon or Bane for Online Learning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JerryYan
    commented on 's reply
    Gamification doesn't make the whole learning experience sound too simple? Or maybe it IS that simple. What about professionals then? The young adults of today will soon be the professionals..not everything can be treated like a game. Sounds misleading though I do get how gaming platforms can actually be lessons on history, critical thinking, and creativity.

• stan
    commented on 's reply
    I believe what your saying is certainly the way fo the future. The gamification of education has already begun. Engagement is obviously one of the larger challenges when it comes to distance learning.

• Indelible_Mark
    replied
    Is there really such a thing as 'remote teaching'? In an age where youtube is the go-to for video 'lessons' I even think there is no such thing as a shift.

In fact the concept (and practice) of a school that's outside a four-walled room has been there since the early 1980's. Technology in the last decade merely made it all more efficient, convenient, and because of a pandemic..safe.

Entertaining a 'boon or bane' question implies a dichotomy where there is none. If anything, this remote teacher idea is merely a forced move to keep the traditional delivery 'alive' when in fact it will die out simply because the live person can no longer compete with the more entertaining recorded 'adventure learning' platforms already in the wild. You can even bet there will be a rise in 'gamifying' learning just to keep online learners engaged! So much for the boon or bane --just saying.

Leave a comment:

• mjmnl
    commented on 's reply
    Your opinion is supported by this article from weforum.org (https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/...ital-learning/). Online learning will definitely be successful in well-developed countries as the majority of the population has the capability to purchase their own computer units. Also, their internet connection is faster and won't be a hindrance to the online classes. As compared to developing countries like Indonesia wherein only 34% of the population owns a computer system. It's a sad fact but there is nothing much we can do about it. We just hope that in the future, the standard of living will be more desirable in these countries so that the future generation will have a better life.

• sammie83
    replied
    The UK work from home figures shows a massive spike. While many will return to work I imagine many companies will realize that they don't need a big office and will downsize

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	947

Leave a comment:

• sammie83
    replied
    Online learning is growing without a doubt but what is even more interesting is that working from home is a trend that is growing just as quickly. Just take a look at the below chart and note this is pre-COVID times. So the trend was already picking up speed. I can only imagine that in the past 4 or so months it has risen sharply risen.

Click image for larger version  Name:	share-of-americans-working-from-home-remote-work.png Views:	1 Size:	13.2 KB ID:	945

Leave a comment:

• mjmnl
    commented on 's reply
    No one can really escape this pandemic. However, I do think that paying the full tuition fee during this pandemic isn’t worthwhile. Well, that’s just my opinion. We are not talking about a small amount here. One semester at Harvard costs $26,984. That’s crazy for an online-based education only.

Students have a choice to skip the coming semester specially if they think that online learning is not effective for them. Other online courses are available now at a cheaper rate if they really want to make use of their time improving their knowledge and skills.
    Last edited by mjmnl; 07-13-2020, 08:01 AM.

• Alex_Ivanovski
    replied
    Harvard goes online, tuition costs unchanged. Students will study online. What a shift! Even the old traditional schools have been forced teach online

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...pogeRFz1bZXd-A

Leave a comment:

• mjmnl
    commented on 's reply
    Digital literacy is really important nowadays. Not just since this pandemic started, but ever since the internet has been born and kept on upgrading. I still remember not having internet on a daily basis because it's still expensive and requires a dial-up connection. Smartphones are also fairly new but have been evolving rapidly.

Technology is already a part of our lives and just like smartphones, I am quite sure that education platforms will also develop into a tool that we'll all benefit and might be something that we have never imagined being invented. We'll never know, there may be a person on some part of this world doing something genius and might change online education forever.

• Kamille
    commented on 's reply
    I agree. I'm worried for those who do not have the means to cope with education's new normal, considering the effects of the pandemic with the economy. A lot of people lost their jobs and were thrust into poverty almost overnight. With everyone on online classes, both instructors and students, they need to purchase new computers to support their education and work. I can't help but think about the extra expense for online devices especially for those who have multiple kids. Sharing devices is not an option when classes are on the same schedule.
    Last edited by Kamille; 06-30-2020, 01:28 PM.

• Kamille
    commented on 's reply
    I totally agree. I think that's one of the biggest advantages of online learning. Learning through your course while getting a lot of practice with computer features, like online presentations, microsoft apps or just simply navigating through the web. Not everyone has the skills for accurate online researching, but its a skill students will develop throughout their course. These skills will come in handy in the future. Digital literacy is now essential as we are definitely entering a new level of normal.

• sammie83
    commented on 's reply
    I agree. Not for everyone but I can see it really become one of the main ways of learning in the future. Its already hear. Many on-campus classes have blended learnign already in one way or another which is online learning in part.

• jcoppi29
    commented on 's reply
    Now that you mentioned it, it seems digital literacy would also be a capitalized learning endeavor by some providers to help the population that lacks digital literacy transpose to the currently developing status quo of the learning setting.

• Kamille
    replied
    I think boon, but its not for everyone. There are a number of advantages and disadvantages of shifting to online learning, not just for the students but for the faculties as well. https://www.insidehighered.com/digit...nstructors-and Not everyone is digitally literate, or has an access to an internet. However, I think mobility and accessibility of education is the future. And online learning will definitely change education as we know it.

Leave a comment:

• kdy
    replied
    Definitely boon for first world countries. Am worried for the developing countries though - where access to internet is poor especially in provinces or remote areas, where the majority of the student population hardly have access to basic needs, and where schools barely have the capability to provide sufficient tools and facilities for effective learning. How they're going to cope with technology-based education is a big question for me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X