Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Shift to Remote Teaching Be Boon or Bane for Online Learning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mjmnl
    commented on 's reply
    Even workplaces have opened up now! The world is slowly going back to the old normal. Some students are dreading face-to-face classes now after being used to online classes set up for months or a year now. But other students including kids are just so excited to meet their friends again and socialize. I just hope the cases won't surge again.

• Kamille
    replied
    Schools are now starting to open and some have already went back to traditional learning. However, I know a number of students who are not looking forward to going back to school. Online learning may have been quite a challenge at first, but it looks like a lot of students have well adjusted and now prefers this over face-to-face classes.

Leave a comment:

• Bjun
    replied
    OK, it's been a year since a lot have shifted to online learning. I've read from other education forums that some students are really struggling with online classes. Some are even suggesting an academic freeze. I understand this as not everyone would have the device or stable internet connection required to complete assessments and modules. But, I think we will learn. Maybe ISP's will focus on improving their service.

Leave a comment:

• Skye
    replied
    It has been a year since traditional schools were forced to enter the world of online learning. Some were ready for the shift. Some were not. Teachers and educators have, by now, learned the skills necessary to conduct remote teaching. It was a tough start, and there are still a lot of bloopers, not just with educators, but everyone who are now using technology to conduct what used to be face-to-face activities.

Leave a comment:

• JerryYan

• JerryYan
    commented on 's reply
    Good perspective! Some instructors are really better for shorter stints that make good language teachers. Others, hopefully most in established general education institutions, are better for long term teaching and mentoring opportunities. This is more helpful especially for students expected to go through their life stages with the institution as well.

• mjmnl
    commented on 's reply
    I agree! Up until now, I value the life skills I gained from school together with the theoretical learnings. They go hand in hand. Academics is important especially if you're a professional or you're on a career path where you specialize in something. But without the basic life skills that we learn when we encounter problems or deal with other people, I don't think it will be as useful. Wishing we'll get back to the normal days too!

• mjmnl
    commented on 's reply
    It will take a lot of years for these issues to be solved even though we are already in technology-dependent times. In some countries, they've tried their best to open the campuses despite the pandemic. Students are experiencing a kind of setup that we never imagined. Wearing masks all day, some even have barriers in between seats, and of course the social distancing. Here are some of the photos from different schools around the globe: https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...-around-world/. It's either these students choose to stop studying for the time being, spend much more to upgrade their online learning essentials, or experience face to face learning but with these precautions.
  • JerryYan

• JerryYan
    commented on 's reply
    True. We have hope that that will be adopted by developing countries. It's high time for us all too to reevaluate the resources we should make available to everyone considering all the changes and advancement the world is going through and how those things enable us daily in our education, jobs, and advancement as people.

• Skye
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, I am with you in hoping that we get back some of our old ways of school. It is nice we are learning something new. But having some of the old ways are not bad especially since we learn not just academics there, but people and life skills too.
  • kdy

• kdy
    commented on 's reply
    Agree
    kimbella
    kimbella. Being immersed in a diversified setting and interacting with different people on a daily basis is the best learning experience. We share the same hope
  • kimbella

• kimbella
    replied
    I agree totally KDI..these online learning platforms only work for those who have internet access and computers...I run an afterschool programme for children at risk and less than 20% have any access at all! RIght now they are just sitting at home learning almost nothing...very sad ,,, and for those of us to do have access maybe I am just old school but nothing can replace my college learing experience of living with persons from 4 different countries and interacting face to face on a daily basis. I still hope we get back to some of our old ways of school and college....

Leave a comment:

• JerryYan

• JerryYan
    commented on 's reply
    This is true. There are environmental perks to the shift to remote learning. There are a variety of ways to improve distance learning and sticking to the usual presentation of slides would only make it stagnant, and plain.
  • Gerhard

• Gerhard
    replied
    At one point I was actually interested in being an online ESL teacher to the point I passed the interview and was already scheduled to handle a class or classes. What made this mode of teaching was that fast-paced environment. Each student or class is for 25 minutes max then move on to the next student every day. It made me feel like a jukebox that plays a music for one person at a time that I did not feel comfortable with. Maybe a long-term teaching job is what suits my personality or mood.

Leave a comment:

• kdy

• kdy
    commented on 's reply
    The first 3 weeks in school was like the perfect storm, and so I decided to move my son to another school. My only take away in all this is - schools will have different ways, styles and mission-vision. And though our child has gone to the same school since he started, given the new circumstance, we should reassess our child's learning needs. We need to check whether the new platform being offered suits them. Otherwise, it would be a complete waste of energy, money and time for both you and your child to still go to the same school.
  • Indelible_Mark

• Indelible_Mark
    commented on 's reply
    That was a good future past talk indeed. Glad to know there are still those who see the future for what it is..pandemic or otherwise. Kids are smarter today that we were at the same age! Goodness knows what other radical changes will come around that proverbial corner.
Working...
X