Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corona Virus: Now might be the time to get enrolled in a distance learning program!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corona Virus: Now might be the time to get enrolled in a distance learning program!

Every dark cloud has a silver lining, and I believe students should start exploring all the different possibilities that this situation might have to offer!

Hmmm sounds about right

Comment

A good salesman can sell ice to the eskimos!

I'm just sayin...😂

Comment

• Spoiler Alert
        Spoiler Alert commented
        Editing a comment
        Guess you weren't expecting stuff about distance learning on a distance learning institute forum...!!! Sorry to disappoint you bro
        Last edited by Spoiler Alert; 03-21-2020, 09:20 AM.

You're on a distance learning forum. What else do you expect...hahahaha!

Comment

The rapid transfer to online learning is in full swing as we write. Schools are across the globe scrambling to continue their semester and most likely the academic year via online learning due to the coronavirus. This is well discussed in the following articles:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...ation-go-viral

and

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...17-p54avs.html

Comment

• Big_Fat_Panda
          Big_Fat_Panda commented
          Editing a comment
          Voila! Its the admin himself...

• kdy
          kdy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yap. My son's going to the university and fees are all paid for. They are on quad-term. Our lockdown started a few weeks after the third term started. But they were quick to transition to online learning. That was great . The kids do not have to worry about being delayed in their educ. I just don't know how effective they were able to set it up in such a short time.It was also unfortunate that rebate/refund was so minimal given the fact that the term just started and labs and utilities were barely used by the students.

Good for those who are already studying online - no need to worry about the fees and the continuity of their education. And given that the education is really based on distance learning mode, the learning modules and program have been carefully designed to effectively help students study independently.

What I meant was, why wile away the hours in quarantine? Half the world is locked down, schools, colleges, universities are no go where I live. Why not use this opportunity to get slightly ahead of the curve? Who knows how long the situation will prevail?

Besides, 'In striving for perfection, one achieves excellence'. If you decide to have your snacks and 'Netflix and Chill', you're more than welcome mate!

Comment

• Rchou89
          Rchou89 commented
          Editing a comment
          Tbh, I think this is the direction college needs to go in. Colleges and Universities have been kind of slow developing true distance learning programs -- I mean, most universities don't offer a full spectrum of course options and many offer only partial online experiences.

I think this pandemic has just highlighted how beneficial online programs (and remote work) are. ICI is just ahead of the curve. We'll see if the rest of the world decides to catch up.

Wow, the amount of hate being directed at the poor guy in this thread!

Comment

• NuckingFutz
          NuckingFutz commented
          Editing a comment
          You back again already !!!!!

NuckingFutz I never went away hon. I thought you'd never notice

Comment

Spoiler Alert Click image for larger version

Name:	hqdefault.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	176

Comment

I have an even better suggestion. Lets buy Doom Eternal and Rip and Tear until no demon is left alive!

Comment

• DOOM GUY
              DOOM GUY commented
              Editing a comment
              I heard you were talking trash!

• Big_Fat_Panda
              Big_Fat_Panda commented
              Editing a comment
              Demons: Stop spawn killing
              Doom guy: Stop spawning

• Rchou89
              Rchou89 commented
              Editing a comment
              Some of us have the attention span for both?

I just found this on the International Career Institute Facebook page. Very though-provoking. "Who do I want to be during COVID-19?" I am definitely focusing on being in the learning and growth zone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ICI.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	271

Comment

• Rchou89
              Rchou89 commented
              Editing a comment
              Living in the present and focusing on the future is such a big one along with the one about evaluating information before spreading something false. This pandemic isn't easy to deal with, but I think we're all adjusting as best as we can.

I personally try to focus on the things that I can do while letting everything else go. Luckily there is so much we can do online right now. Whether that's working remotely or online learning. Or, for those of us that can't push through the anxiety yet, just taking some down town to recover.

While it isn't necessary to be productive all the time, it's helpful that we have the ability to connect online and continue to pursue the things we want to, to a certain extent.

As for all the misinformation out there, I've been taking breaks from news consumption and the flood of Facebook, Twitter and other social media posts. There is so much competing information out there, and unfortunately many people spread harmful ideas without taking the time to double check its validity. I find myself being both thankful for and resentful of the internet on a daily basis.

• Kamille
              Kamille commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting post! I agree that it is best to divert your stress into focusing on your personal, intellectual and mental growth.

• GladysMae
              GladysMae commented
              Editing a comment
              This is interesting. And I wanna believe that I am in the Learning Zone (at best).

At this time, it's more survive than thrive. Under Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, it's difficult to fulfill the lower order need of SAFETY and SECURITY NEEDS. This article, https://www.psychreg.org/hierarchy-of-needs-covid-19/, discusses these needs in relation to this pandemic.

I agree with Rchou89, there are a lot of misleading information circling around the internet and elsewhere about this pandemic and it does affect our perspective. It is a wise choice to distance a bit from social media platforms and mainstream media.

Because of this lockdown, having something to focus on does help ease the boredom and stress of quarantine. Enrolling in an online course gives you something to look forward to every day aside from the usual things you already do. Plus, you get to learn and upskill while you stay at home. Since we have the technology, why not make the most out of it?
            Last edited by Lou; 06-16-2020, 05:04 PM.

Comment

The pandemic is pushing equity-in-education boundaries and disrupting admission processes (see https://www.forbes.com/sites/brennan.../#3fb6625d2ee6).

Good thing distance learning presents a pre-disposed alternative. Imagine future-learning (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC_T9ePzANg) where information is literally at hand anytime anywhere, and all a learner has to do is sift through facts.

Maybe that 'future' is already here!

Comment

• Skye
                Skye commented
                Editing a comment
                Where is the equity in education for those who lack the resources to do distance learning? Those in third world countries? Those that depend on the free education (and facilities) offered by the public school system?

How about them?

The future may be here for all, but not all can enjoy that future right now.

Though staying home keeps us safe from the virus, the anxiety of not having control of what's happening around us can cause anxiety. Netflix is a good diversion for all your stress, but you can also do something that can benefit your career in the long run. Explore and learn a new course; or you might want to level up your skill for a possible promotion? Since we are at the time when traditional methods of learning is unviable, I strongly believe distance learning is the way to go.

Comment

We are all in an unimaginable situation. No one was ready because we weren't expecting this to come. I still remember saying that this year will be a great way to start the new decade. But here we are, stuck at the comfort of our home. Good thing there are available options for us to make our stay productive. Whatever your interests are, there are courses available online from arts to science. So that after all these disturbances, you can welcome the new normal with a new skill and knowledge and have your own competitive advantage.

Comment

Working...
                X