No announcement yet.

Burnout While Working From Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the blurring of the boundaries that leads to burnout. What is work and what is not work? The temptation to do work when your laptop is there on your table 24/7. The urge to assign work when you know all your subordinates or colleagues are also just home with "nothing else to do." The little voice inside your head saying "answer just one email" and you end up answering a bunch of them.

We should know our boundaries. Specifically TIME boundaries.

Comment

• Skye
      Skye commented
      Editing a comment
      Even my homeschoolers have time boundary issues. And it goes both ways. They get so engrossed with their schoolwork that they forget it is time to have a break already. Or they are enjoying their break so much that they forget they have lessons to work on.

• mjmnl
      mjmnl commented
      Editing a comment
      To be honest, I had a hard time creating boundaries before when I started working from home. I was new in this setting and there's nothing else to do at home. It was my supervisor who taught me to draw the line between work and life. I never thought that it could cause burnout if that habit was continued. My cousin started working from home since the lockdown and she works overtime almost every day. She wanted to resign because of the burnout but the fear of not being hired during this pandemic is stopping her.

• Skye
      Skye commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, no boundaries can lead to burnout... and it is true for everything. Having boundaries is a way of honoring and respecting one's self, and everything that goes with it.

Before, it was easy to delineate. Now, since work happens within the homespace, it's kinda blurry.

It may be a good idea to just have a specific space in the house for work. Then that place is off limits during non work hours.

I've learned that what people used to post about having plants (in abundance) inside the house as well as my home office has greatly improved my day to day routine. I feel less stressed and more relaxed but then again these plants are not just ordinary varieties but those that are a bit pricey so there is somewhat an irony of getting stressed taking care or nurturing something that is supposed to help in relieving stress! So far breathing and eye strain has greatly improved. Add some essential oils into the mix and voila!

Comment

• Kamille
      Kamille commented
      Editing a comment
      I've heard a lot about diffusing essential oils. I heard about this brand and they said they're great for relieving stress and having peaceful sleep. I'm using scented candles but thinking of trying something new. How's your experience with essential oils so far? Are they worth the penny?
      Last edited by Kamille; 10-02-2020, 11:18 AM.

• mjmnl
      mjmnl commented
      Editing a comment
      My brother-in-law started to collect plants since the lockdown saying he wanted to do something to help him focus on other things aside from his job. He specifically bought aglaonema and has now bought everything in his checklist. Yes, you're right, I'm shocked how expensive plants can get. I had a little chat with my sister regarding his husband's sudden hobby. She told me that she doesn't mind him spending extra money buying plants as long as it helps him prevent being stressed out due to the pandemic and working at home.

• Kamille
      Kamille commented
      Editing a comment
      I am more calm when I am with nature, but given the situation where we are not even allowed to go out, a small plant in our work space will do. However, I can not keep them alive for more than they should lol. Thankfully, there are dried flowers available in stores and I feel like I've found that perfect plant for me. Low maintenance, no water needed, long lasting, and with the de-stressing benefits of a live one.

"Cluttered house, cluttered mind".
    I think this is true especially for us who work from home. A clean house creates peaceful environment and calmer mind, which help us focus more on our work and prevent us from being stressed. There are a lot of studies that prove that a clean home go hand-in-hand with our mental health. Also, cleaning can be therapeutic. Its definitely a win-win.
    Last edited by Kamille; 10-05-2020, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• kdy
      kdy commented
      Editing a comment
      I so agree with this. Too many things lying around or a messy house makes me feel suffocated like there are so many things that I have to do, but have so little time. Sometimes, I get overwhelmed that I end up not doing anything at all. But even when I don't move around, I still feel tired. It's like there is something hanging over my head, I can't focus at anything I try to do.

But when the house is clean and stuff are organized, I actually find myself more productive. Focusing at work is easier, and I realize that I get around to doing things that I really like doing.

Also, I find decluttering very rewarding. When I see more free space, I feel more carefree Definitely helps.

• jcoppi29
      jcoppi29 commented
      Editing a comment
      agreed. in my case, my desktop environment and my desk are most sacred. Because I have a place of my own, things are generally fixed or clean because no one else is around to mess things up. Now I'm gearing up to get a new workspace, gaming desk. I'm getting annoyed with cluttered mediocre cable management -- it's time to look for customized desk builders lmao

• mjmnl
      mjmnl commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here! I work better in a clean environment and having an organized place is preferable since it is easier to find things. Whenever my workplace becomes cluttered, I get distracted and I try to find time to clean up. I also tried to live a minimalistic life. To be honest, I failed haha!! I just can't give up a lot of things and I still have a few things in my shopping cart that I can't let go of. But that's my goal in the future, hopefully, I'll succeed and have a minimalistic lifestyle.

Recent studies show that yoga is an effective way to prevent and manage musculoskeletal and psychological problems, which are mostly the cause of burn-out. Its exercise and relaxation in one. https://theconsciousclub.com/article...n-cure-burnout
    Last edited by Kamille; 11-19-2020, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Eight months since the lockdowns and I badly need a vacation. I envy people whose lives seem to be back to normal somehow.

Comment

• Skye
        Skye commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here. I am glad though that there are places that accept guests already.
    Working...
    X