Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To promote diversity in the workplace, there must be respect. Everybody is different. So we must respect those differences, as well as our alikeness.

And I agree with what jcoppi29 has mentioned, "one must know themselves to the point of helpful awareness." You really must know who you are and your behavior. Because you can only improve your behavior if you are aware of what your behavior is.

Comment

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, respect is very important. We don't have to be the same or agree in every aspect. We may come from different backgrounds but that wouldn't mean we wouldn't have similar work ethics.

Also, I think people are aware of their behaviour but it's working on the areas that they need to improve on that is a bit of a challenge. 😅

• Skye
      Skye commented
      Editing a comment
      It requires a certain amount of maturity to give respect to differences. It is childish to be taking sides. However, some people do not outgrow this childishness. And it is difficult to work with people who can only be pleasant or cordial with people who are similar to them.

• mjmnl
      mjmnl commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. Respect is essential to have a peaceful workplace. This directly affects the productivity and performance of each employee which in turn will be beneficial for the company. And yes, when we know ourself better, we accept criticisms and we become open to comments and suggestions from other people. We know if these observations will do harm or good to ourselves. Diversity can be addressed by an open conversation with all stakeholders and colleagues.

I agree GladysMae. One must be aware of one's behavior to be able to acknowledge what is wrong and improve on them. That is why it is important that you learn how to listen to criticisms and take the positive out of it instead of taking it against the person who provided you the feedback.

It really does boil down to your perspective, character, and personality. Positivity always wins.

Comment

• Skye
      Skye commented
      Editing a comment
      We really should respect each other's differences. However, the company should have a clear cut policy on what needs to be met and how each person should conduct themselves.

Imagine a box as the company's policies. Anything, no matter how diverse, is acceptable. However, there are some people who are violators and using diversity as their scapegoat, their go-to reason. And demanding that we accept such "diversity."

I totally agree with you Skye. A clear cut policy is essential for every business. Diversity is great but it's also complicated and people do tend to use diversity as their scapegoat for their actions. Having specific rules and regulations helps make the workplace a more harmonious place whether online or office setting. Some people hate policies but, they are not there for nothing.

Comment

I am fine with people hating policies. As long as they still follow the policies.

But these policies are there for the reason of guiding everyone's actions towards a successful business. People have got to understand that. If they are not okay with the policies and there is no way that these policies can be revised, then they can leave. Just saying.

Comment

• mjmnl
        mjmnl commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here. Policies make every workplace harmonious. Every company needs policies that everyone should follow regardless of what they believe outside of work. So if the company's policies don't fit you, you can always leave and find a company that has the same vision as yours. In that case, no one will have a problem trying to fit in and diversity won't be used as an excuse to act rudely against each other.

• Skye
        Skye commented
        Editing a comment
        So true, mjmnl. Leave if it does not fit. Do not be like those evil stepsisters of Cinderella. Pushing their feet in even when it does not fit. Stop forcing it especially when it is something the company cannot change or if it is something you cannot change within yourself - like the size of your foot.

However, things may change. Company policies may evolve. An individual may evolve. This evolution may be for the better or worse. But at any given time, you should have a boundary as to what is still acceptable for you. Know your limits.

This is also the same way handling your co-workers no matter how big your differences are. Know what is acceptable to you. You cannot control these people you only have control on yourself.

So be guided by your company's policy on how to act and react. Use those policies to get what you want. Use those policies to affect change or to start a dialogue.

Or you can just let it be and adjust to the company's policies as they are. "It's easier to wear slippers than to carpet the whole world," as Al Franken says.

Since most companies switched to work from home set-up, we can clearly see that there is also a diversity in hiring remote jobs. Its great to see everyone from all gender, race and social status be given equal access to jobs, so long as they have internet connection. Remote hiring definitely opened the doors to wider talent pools and these diversity of thoughts will add value to businesses. People from diverse origins greatly contribute in understanding the market and various cultures, and have likely different approach when faced with challenges. Here is a good read why we should keep diversity going in remote jobs. https://www.fastcompany.com/90480008...-keep-it-going

Comment

• Indelible_Mark
        Indelible_Mark commented
        Editing a comment
        It was a good read and leads me to wonder how soon companies might be able to 'evolve' policies like this without a need to respond to a pandemic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_94.png
Views:	34
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1195 There are tons of benefits that the company can enjoy just by promoting diversity in their workplace. Sharing this infographic from Talentlyft that summarizes the advantages of having a diversified workplace. When I worked in a diversified company during my internship, variety of different perspective has been a great help in making business decisions. Although, it can lead to either a positive or negative result. It takes time for this setting to work but will eventually be helpful in the long run.
      Read the full article here: https://www.talentlyft.com/en/blog/a...aphic-included

Comment

As long as there is "free will" then there will always be diversity and bias. When society is free to voice their own opinions or express their feelings (freely) things will always go back to the way they are used to.

Comment

I believe diversity offers great benefits in the workplace. Although there are misunderstandings and differences in opinions, they actually lead to better results. These differences in opinions and ideas, when put together can lead to one great idea. Also, due to these differences, members are better inclined to perform and learn more about the task at hand.

Comment

Working...
          X