No announcement yet.

Are you ready to take an online course?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you ready to take an online course?

Taking charge of one's learning is a challenge. Think you can take charge? You say you want to learn something new..
    something else..something that might lead to better opportunities!
    Here is one such test to find out http://tutorials.istudy.psu.edu/lear...ne/ORQ/ORQ.htm
    This one's from Penn State U and it's not the only one out there!

Are you ready to take charge of your learning?

Very useful questionnaire I must say. The main questions I would ask myself are:
    1. Do I have reliable internet?
    2. Do I read course material carefully?
    3. Do I have the ability to schedule my time in such a way where I can create time for study. Even if it is for 30 minutes each week
    4. Do I enjoy problem-solving

Comment

It is easy to want something, but it's harder to act on it. Before you proceed to take an online course you should have the following:

1. Money, to ensure that you are able to pay your tuition fee.
      2. Reliable internet service provider. A slow and intermittent connection can make you lose your focus, lose your interest even.
      3. Time. In as much as you want to achieve everything, you should consider if you do have the time to study.
      4. You should make sure that you have enough energy and the willingness to complete your studies. Again, it is easy to want something but it's different when you are already faced with circumstances.

Online learning has its pros and cons, just like everything else. Knowing these pros and cons will also help you decide if online learning is something that will work for you. Check out this article about the pros and cons of studying online: https://www.academia21.com/blog/2011...ing-online/.It will give you some insights that will help you decide if online learning is something you can do or not.

Comment

I agree with everyone. Maybe another question one can also consider is - What type of learner are you?

Do you learn best just by reading?...
        Do you learn best by sharing and receiving ideas from others?...
        Do you learn best doing hands on training?...
        Do you learn best by watching and listening? 😉

Comment

• Kamille
          Kamille commented
          Editing a comment
          I learn best through watching and listening, but I remember things better by writing them down on a piece of paper, not just typing in a computer. I can imagine the transition from traditional to online learning wouldn't be easy to some, but being adaptable to change is a skill we can all use, especially in our career.

I think anyone is AS LONG as they are ready to put in a system for accountability or have someone check in on them. This is the key to online learning I have found. Its to easy to leave things for later and never get them done unlike in a timetabled in class program. So as long as a system for accountability is in place I do not see why anyone would not be able to do it. That is provided that support is available from tutors.

Comment

• JerryYan
          JerryYan commented
          Editing a comment
          I hear you on 'someone to check in on them'. Online learning will take different forms and modals. In all its forms however online learning is self-led which also means there is no one external or additional to tap one back for 'study time'.

Support sounds like 'someone to call me out' however online learning is simply the opposite. Learning how to learn IS the lesson..including the self-check, self-accountability, the self-motivation.

This is a very useful questionnaire specially if you take into account that not everyone thrives in online courses. It is good to know whether you're fit for this kind of learning. Make sure that your goal is to learn as much as possible and finish the course. Don't let your precious time and money go to waste.

I also read this short article (https://post.edu/blog/10-signs-youre...nline-student/) enumerating the 10 signs to know if you're ready to go for the online path. Also, I would like to add that mental health also affects your performance. During this pandemic, anxiety is unavoidable. Take your time and never force it if you're not yet ready.

Comment

• Indelible_Mark
          Indelible_Mark commented
          Editing a comment
          Sometimes 'forcing it' works..confronting the anxiety against starting something new and uncomfortable can lead to good things. I've some acquaintances sign up on courses, pay upfront, and then just plow through the readings with 'i've already paid for it' as a 'no turning back' path

• Kamille
          Kamille commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with Indelible_Mark that sometimes forcing it works. Sometimes its not a matter of being 'ready'; its having the discipline to go on with it because its something that you need to do. Learning is an opportunity that is really hard to pass, and if it affects your mental health negatively, you can always pause and take a break. I recently enrolled my son in an online school and no, he was not ready. But everyday, he grows more and more interested in what he is learning. As they say, the first step is always the hardest. You just have to go on and at least try.

Before taking online classes, it is important to learn the art of self-motivation. The convenience and flexibility of distance learning should come hand in hand with motivation and discipline. For me, I find it helpful to visualize the outcome of my efforts. Know the tips and tricks to stay motivated so you can always stay on track of your learning experience.
        Last edited by Kamille; 05-08-2020, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Indelible_Mark View Post
          Taking charge of one's learning is a challenge. Think you can take charge? You say you want to learn something new..
          something else..something that might lead to better opportunities!
          Here is one such test to find out http://tutorials.istudy.psu.edu/lear...ne/ORQ/ORQ.htm
          This one's from Penn State U and it's not the only one out there!

Are you ready to take charge of your learning?
          To answer your question, no, I am not ready to take an online course.

Everything I need outside of myself is there.

But I am lacking the self-motivation that Kamille has mentioned. It may not just be the best time for me to take on this kind of learning. In the future, maybe.

Comment

I took the quiz and apparently, I need to set some strong goals for myself. I've taken short courses before. One really required me to be in a class due to a lot of training and practical involved. The other one was a language course, which I had an option to do online. I attended a class and learnt online at the same time.

Motivating myself to learn the language mainly online was really a struggle but when I started to join a class, the online lessons I've been doing for months suddenly made sense. I believe online courses are great foundation/supplementary courses. I would've struggled with the class have I not had online lessons prior to it.

So, going back to the question, am I ready to take an online course? Yes, but mainly as a supplementary course.

Comment

Readiness is often neglected as a 'consideration' when choosing courses. The questionnaires present self-help markers that should lead to confidence, or at least the idea of 'when might I be ready', to take on a course.

Fear of failing is so real that sometimes the anticipation of tasks and assessments -not even the actual tests yet- builds up and steers one away from becoming ready to take on a course.

Then there are reports of hacking and phishing scams that seem to reinforce these fears. How could you ever gain confidence and readiness?
              For some its as simple as going for it followed by I started it so I have to finish it and hopefully come up to I never really thought I could but I DID!

Comment

Working...
              X