What do I need to study online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I need to study online?

Click image for larger version  Name:	download.jpeg Views:	10 Size:	10.6 KB ID:	374

If you're trying to do online courses, these are the essentials any new online student should have:
    • A fairly new computer.
    • The right operating system.
    • Useful software.
    • Web browsers.
    • Reliable internet access.
    • A few accessories.

Aside from these technical requirements, a student must also have the proper attitude to thrive in online learning. I experienced wasting my money years ago because I was not able to finish my online course on time. Generous time was given. I was just not focused and dedicated to finish it. Your way of thinking has a direct effect with your success in online learning.

These are my recommendations:
    • Be organised
    • Familiarize yourself with the computer programs
    • Have a strict schedule
    • Make use of all the online resources
    • Don't forget to ask for help if needed
    • Hold on to your goal
    • And of course, Enjoy the process

Comment

• Kamille
      Kamille commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. The first step to be a successful learner is keeping a positive attitude towards learning. As Henry Ford once said, "Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right." Having the right attitude will help you boost your concentration and effectively absorb new information. The best part? It will not only affect your learning, but your overall well-being.
      I found this article that suggests effective tips in maintaining the right attitude towards learning.. https://www.opencolleges.edu.au/info...outlook-learn/

In addition to all the tools mentioned, it is also important to have a personal study space.
    Make sure that you are in an environment that can help you enhance your concentration. A clean, bright, distraction-free space can work wonders!

Comment

• mjmnl
      mjmnl commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with this. A personal study space makes a huge difference in distinguishing between home and school. It gives us the mindset that there are boundaries on the things that we can do while we are within our study space. You may also set your own rules that work best for you. As for me, I do not engage in anything regarding social media when I sit in my work/study space because I know that it distracts me the most.

I think, considering that we're talking about studying online, the few stuff I can add would emphasize more on the mindset when tackling online, self-paced courses. Having suffered dealing with a really short attention span, I may have some cents to add to the preparation phase, internally speaking. So while you're ready hardware and software-wise, space-wise and all, learn the following:

1, The Promodoro method -- in a nutshell, this means 20-30 minutes of hyperfocus on a particular lesson, module, skill or topic. This means all mobile devices, distractions, and other tasks are set to the side so your thoughts, processes, and all are centered on the material you're aiming for.
    2. The Growth Mindset -- do not be afraid of rejection or failure, instead, embrace it. The more you take every rejection and failure as something good in the sense that it leads to more learning, the more likely, paradoxically, you will succeed. Most times it's the avoidance of failure that leads to actual failure, and those who "seek" it, succeed instead.
    3. Find your inner motivation. In the words of Jordan Peterson regarding motivation, it's a two-way push forward. From behind, let your worst fears (what you don't want to be, where you don't want to be) push you forward to your goal (who you want to be, where you want to be, and how you want to be). It becomes more than just one reason to strive.
    4. Quality > Quantity. Learning slowly and surely results to less burn out while rushing is positively correlated to procrastination that leads to more procrastination, burn outs, and loss of motivation.
    5. Don't forget breaks in your schedule. As human beings, we're rarely satisfied by one engagement if it's latched onto our personal sense of meaning -- so engage yourself with hobbies, entertain yourself moderately.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Dream!

Dream big and let nothing hold you back!

One needs a substantial 'dream' to see beyond the labor and tools when taking on an online course. Keeping one's focus on the vision, the dream of what you want to BE! will definitely speak to motivation. Beyond completion and the usual procrastination, having a dream and the 'emotional WHY' could mean the difference between 'what is' and 'what could have been' a few months after completing a course. Oh and yes! Dreams will carry you forward beyond accomplishing your readings and tests!

Here are some questions that I found particularly helpful finding my dream: https://www.lifehack.org/articles/co...your-life.html

Comment

Everyone has good points and all mentioned are needed.

I'd like to add that you need to be READY to study online. For a traditional school learner, like myself, there is still that hesitation to study online. I have tried to do that with a different online school years ago. And I just ended up wasting that enrollment.

So your readiness is really a key necessity for you to be able to successfully study online.

Comment

Self-discipline is what I NEED to study online. You can buy a laptop, you can subscribe and get good internet connection, you can download all the study apps and software required, you can create your own workspace but without self-discipline, online study wouldn't be possible. I need to remind myself to focus, log in, read my lessons and submit assessments. It sounds easy but with all the distractions, I can lose focus. And, it's easy to procrastinate, too.

I find these tips helpful on staying focused on your online studies: https://online.essex.ac.uk/blog/7-ti...udying-online/

Comment

• mjmnl
            mjmnl commented
            Editing a comment
            You're right. Without self-discipline, all of the resources you have won't make any sense. You also have to prioritize all your everyday tasks to finish the course on time. Among the tips in the link you've provided, enlisting others to support you is something that I lacked before. I had to learn the hard way and ended up arguing with the people at home. I didn't tell them that I am taking up an online course, so they requested me to run errands for our family business almost everyday. Had to cram just to finish the course 😅

• Skye
            Skye commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally agree on your take on this, Bjun.

Self-discipline is key. Procrastination is really a concern too. So many other more urgent and seemingly more important things come and we put our studies in the back burner... usually staying there for a really really long time.

Anyone ever mentioned time? Time to get things done. Time to read. Time to research, play around, practice, even time for breaks like jcoppi29 mentioned... I mean time as a resource is in itself a need. I'm sure I would not be the only one who has ever started a course and then outright fall behind because I did not have time for whatever reason..its something often overlooked.

Be good to plan out exactly how much time to put in alongside the big C (commitment of course!)

Comment

• Kamille
            Kamille commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree. If you decide to enroll, be willing to change some of your daily routines so you can allot specific schedule for your learning. It's very important to manage your time effectively so you can focus on your studies and complete academic requirements on time. Getting crammed with too many tasks everyday can easily result to burning out. Time is indeed money. You may have all the equipment and the right attitude for distance learning, but without enough time to spend, you'll just end up wasting your money.

• JerryYan
            JerryYan commented
            Editing a comment
            You are so right. Time is the most expensive necessity to study online. It may be relatively easier to schedule and adopt to but without maximizing proper time allotment and management, online study just may be half-baked and a waste of all the other resources used in the process. Planning this is most essential. 😊

What you study online depends on what interests you and what use you can make out of it. I mean, if you are interested in designing houses, you may as well hone your skills by enrolling yourself in an interior design course. Nonetheless, if you are already working and you need to up your ante, you may also enroll in a course that is related to your field to gain more knowledge and skills. 😉

Comment

I studied via distance learning once....I wasnt very computer and internet savvy at the time and I really struggled. I was not able to interact with my "classmates", and I missed some assignments because I am not very good in navigating the student portal. So for those who are just like me, take the time to learn the basics like attaching files, uploading images, e-mailing, etc. These would come handy when you start studying.

Comment

• mjmnl
              mjmnl commented
              Editing a comment
              Learning these simple things really make a difference. It also minimizes the delay and wouldn't make you worry that you failed to attach your submission. One thing that I regret doing when I was attending school is not making use of all the resources that our institution offers. Same as with the online resources that I just brushed off. Make sure to take advantage of the platforms where you can interact with your schoolmates including forums like this. Also, before you start your course, better know how you can reach out to someone from the institute you're enrolling in.

• Kamille
              Kamille commented
              Editing a comment
              I think one of the advantages of online learning is that you'll get a lot of practice using the tools on your computer which will later be beneficial with your work. Most jobs these days require knowledge in technological features like Microsoft word, excel and email management. Especially with this pandemic, most companies maximize the use of internet with online marketing and conferences. Learning all these while learning through your online course is a win-win. Your distance learning experience can definitely take you a step further towards your career goal. Just take the time to learn and reach out for help whenever needed.

You'll need patience. Lots and lots of patience. Aside from the things that you need to learn for your course, you will also need to learn to study using a new system. You will need to adjust and re-frame your thinking. So there is going to be a learning curve - for the knowledge you need and the know-how to study.

So you will need patience with the system. You will need patience for yourself. Until you are able to adjust.

Once you have adjusted, you will also realize you will need patience for the people around you, those people who are not studying online and do not understand how it is being done, yet have so many negative things to say. Or you can just not really care what they do or say and just go your merry way.

Comment

THE STRUGGLE IS REAL.

Now that my kids are all studying online, I realized that you will need patience to understand the new system. Now you have to know a lot more than just going to school and learning from the teachers. With everything just a click away, there is the need for discipline to go with the direction set in the program or lesson plan.

As learners, my kids are also adjusting to the "new" way of learning that have been forced on them. I am glad though that kids are naturally adaptable. They are embracing the online platform of learning. I am still quite behind but slowly (really slowly, slower than a turtle) adjusting.

I have also realized that my kids are learning better. They can go at their own pace with the on-demand video lessons and online assessments. They also can work on a separate tool where they can address learning gaps. They do not have to wait for their classmates to understand things. Or have their classmates wait till my kids understand things. There is now a better chance of mastery of concepts.
              Last edited by Skye; 08-26-2020, 11:23 PM.

Comment

• Indelible_Mark
                Indelible_Mark commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad to hear you are gaining a foothold. I thought I was ready to take on these graders but now I find myself in fact 'behind' against their thought process speeds! I'd like to think I was preparing them with leading questions and coaxing them to 'search' and 'google it' and look up a video...in the end though, they are picking their learning paths and in the words of my 8yo each of them is "building my own" Glad they are enjoying the exploration!

With most people switching over to online schooling or studies, infrastructure has been tested and even stretched thin. Download and upload speeds have been drastically affected with telcos scrambling to upgrade their systems to cope with the huge demand. Hope the upgrades are done quickly as lag and buffering is real.

Comment

• mjmnl
                mjmnl commented
                Editing a comment
                I've been experiencing a lot of network issues even before the pandemic. It keeps on getting worse during these times. I've lived abroad for a couple of years and never experienced a slow internet connection. I guess it just depends on the internet providers in each country. I read this article (https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/...untries-world/), it's a research about the fastest and slowest internet speeds in the world. Most countries with the fastest internet speed came from western Europe and the slowest in Africa.

The slowest download speed is just 0.58Mbps. Crazy! I just hope it doesn't reach that level of slowness in your area.
            Working...
            X