Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it necessary to understand our differences with others in the workspace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it necessary to understand our differences with others in the workspace?

Here's a 16 Personality Types Test: https://www.16personalities.com/personality-types

Because we are all but the cumulative result of our genes and our environments, our personality differences and similarities are without a doubt a factor to consider in fostering a good working relationship with others in the fields or workspaces we're actively engaging in. Do you think understanding ourselves and how we are different and similar to other members of the team are important things to consider?

Some additional questions:
    What do you not like about yourself very much? What don't you like about others?

What are the personal traits you admire and what of the same do you admire from others?

I'm an INTJ, but sometimes an INTP.

Nowadays, a lot of companies that are operating online requires a disc test as part of the interview process. Its a step for them to gain a better view of your personality and perception. I think its helpful for both employees and employers to know if you'll fit in their organization or team, though there are other critical factors like skills, abilities, work styles, etc. For example, a serious-minded person may not do well in a more laid-back work environment. Its an example from this article and it discusses why more and more companies require personality tests as part of the hiring process. https://biginterview.com/personality...20personality.

I am an INTJ too. I like that I can place myself on both sides of a conversation. I am an island, and I enjoy my inner sanctuary. I believe in individuality and I rarely get offended so I can't think of anything for your second question.
    Last edited by Kamille; 07-22-2020, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Do personalities change? I took the test now and I'm a Mediator (INFP-A / INFP-T). I have been through a lot of changes in my life and I took this test 3 yrs ago and my result was The Logician (INTP-T).

Comment

• jcoppi29
        jcoppi29 commented
        Editing a comment
        Generally, the aspects subject to change most would often be the 2nd (Sensing Vs Intuitive) or 3rd letter (Feeling vs Thinking) as a result of circumstance or experimenting responses to the immediate environment. Some prolonged Feeling types may encounter bad situations and as a means to prevent those moving forward, they will add more thinking into the mix and so on for other aspects -- tailoring a more adaptive set that works in one's background situation.

While personality is heavily developmental, as in the formative years, its outer branches that root from the core often change over time. After all, the brain does remain neuroplastic throughout the lifespan.

• mjmnl
        mjmnl commented
        Editing a comment
        I first took the test when I was in high school and I was an ESTP back then. It greatly differs from now because I am an ISFJ. I'm not sure if I answered this test seriously when I was in high school but I'm quite sure that I did when I took it again in college. Definitely showed that I was an extrovert back then. I think personalities can still change because of the environment and experiences. I suddenly became an ISFJ after living and working abroad. Makes more sense given the mindset and interests that I have now which is much different from my interests back in the days.

• Skye
        Skye commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe it changes. I just took the test and I can't believe I am now Virtuoso ISTP-A/ISTP-T. But this is me down to a T. Maybe because I am more open now to answer the questions, not really caring what the results are gonna be. Plus more experience to draw the answers from. My answers were more definitive.

I think it is safer to say that understanding differences is better than tolerating as it may lead to problems as people have different have tolerance levels. One can always understand another persons position or where he or she is coming from but tolerating it is entirely a different can of worms.

Comment

• kdy
        kdy commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree. Understanding and accepting that we all have differences would foster respect in the workplace. Somehow it allows us to understand that we are no better than anyone, as no one is also better than us... we simply share different experiences, different insights and a lot other differences.

Today, i'm thinking understanding others is also a skill that is learned and mastered over time. As such one can be intolerant while they are younger and somewhat 'tolerant to the point of enabling' when older.

I also am honest enough to admit that I cannot understand each and every personality in my workspace or any workspace for that matter. Personality may be important to consider during hiring but not necessarily while working as colleagues. 'Getting the job done' is probably easier when there is apparent harmony in the workplace--then again no one comes to work thinking of 'not' getting the job done. Easy, harmony -- highly relative concepts that also differ from person to person.

At the end of each day, each shift, was work done? done well? did we work to fulfill what is expected? --these are the questions that get answered, and will never include having to spend precious time analyzing, interpreting, concluding, and floating heresy about anyone else's personality.

Seriously, we can bicker and trade barbs all day and STILL get the job done OR co-exist for the common goal which may be more pleasant or not. Whatever works!

Comment

I agree with them. It is important to see and understand the differences we have with others. Masking and saying we all are the same, go through the same experiences, and feel the same way towards things or circumstances removes our understanding of how we all are different people that have different backgrounds: that think and perform differently. It is being mature and kind to see differences and acknowledge them as room for growth, and learning.

Comment

Working...
        X