Vacation Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation Anyone?

My last vacation was 10 months ago and I find myself daydreaming more and more of where I want to go and what I want to do once the pandemic is over. I can feel the exhaustion even when working from home.

Studies have shown that taking a vacation improves both our physical and mental health. Taking a break from our jobs may lower our stress, lessen the risk of heart disease, improve our outlook in life and motivate us to achieve our goals.

The good thing is that just planning a trip could help boost our mental health. Let’s take a virtual vacation: where would you go and/or what would you do if there is no pandemic?

I'm already in a binge of virtual vacations through the many games I play that has nice sights, lots of running and jumping, and relaxing sounds -- though, nothing beats the real thing. My last was also around 10 months ago, and at this point, how I wish I took that one vacation for a whole month lmao.

These days, I'm just really into gaming with nice atmospherics, and occassional nostalgia binging by recalling the normal times. I'd probably be in a beach, catching shrimps at night with the locals for a sense of adventure.

Comment

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      jcoppi29 That indeed sounds like a dream. A month-long vacation at the beach. Hopefully, you can do this next year.

I would like to try shrimp hunting but I rarely go to the beach at night. Something about the dark and the sea scares me. I've helped some fishermen before with their catch though, just waited for them at the shore or helped them pull their nets. It was mainly so I can free the fishes too small to be eaten. hahahah

We also have squid season here and they are very small and transparent so you really can't see them but a lot gets washed up on the shore. We use our baggy shirts to scoop them up. I've seen some guys eat the baby squids raw, just pull the head, wash the body with sea water and eat it. I've never tried it though.

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      Gerhard Something to look forward to after this pandemic then - to go fishing! There are restaurants where you can fish for your lunch but I sometimes only get the small ones I had to set them free again.

Fishing reminds me of my brother: everytime we go for a swim, he would take his fishing gear with him. He never caught anything though. We would go snorkling to know where the big fishes are but I guess he's just not very good at it. One time he came home with catch: small fishes, crablets, shrimps and shells. His wife made a soup out of it. Fun times.

• jcoppi29
      jcoppi29 commented
      Editing a comment
      @bjun

At the time, I was batshit scared of the dark see too, but since it was shallow and I was shooting a video for a project of mine that time, I had to face my fears, and it was surprisingly exhilarating -- a break from a comfort zone while aiming for relaxation lmao.

Last year, I've planned and booked my trips for 2020. I was able to go to Taipei this January. And now, all my other bookings are already cancelled because of the pandemic. It's heartbreaking that everything got postponed. We just have to be safe for now and prepare for our next possible vacation.

You're right, planning a trip helps improve our mental health but it doesn't apply to everyone. Haha! Some people just hate planning because of different reasons including the pressure of organizing everything in a short period of time and budgeting for the whole trip. However, since a lot of places are still in lockdown, we can probably travel normally next year or the year after that which gives us more time to plan and save up. It easily removes the stress associated with planning the trips.

If there's no pandemic, I'd be roaming around the streets of Queenstown, New Zealand. I've been saving up and planning this trip since a year ago.

Comment

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      mjmnl Oh, wow! That would've been such a wonderful experience. I heard NZ is such a beautiful and picturesque country.

I do get stressed about planning trips and never really planned the trips that I've taken. Most of the places I've been to was just because I saw one thing I liked on IG or on a documentary and I would just book the tickets and backpacking hostels and hoped for the best. It was fun but the lack of planning really stressed my husband when we started travelling together so he takes care of the planning now. xD

• mjmnl
      mjmnl commented
      Editing a comment
      At least there's someone responsible for planning your travels now. Haha! As much as my boyfriend wants to help with planning, he just doesn't know how and where to start. So I just end up planning everything. Sometimes, I also opt for spontaneous trips like you. It's very raw, you get to try living like a local and end up learning more about that place, people, and culture.

If I could go anywhere, I'd fly to Ireland. I've always been interested in their country's history. I've been dreaming of doing cartwheels down the hills filled with colorful lupins, and see centuries old stone walls and castles and all its many secrets, and drink authentic Irish beer in an Irish pub, and a whole lot more.

When my sister moved to New Zealand, my nerd self was screaming when she sent me photos of their hobbit town tour. We were planning to visit them by the end of this year but then the pandemic has other plans. Right now, I'd settle for a day at the beach with the waves crashing on my toes.

Comment

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      Kamille When I was young, my aunt got married in Ireland and my parents attended her wedding. The only thing I remember from the photos was that it was really gloomy there. I remembered they went to the Giant's Causeway and I asked if they can swim there. I was surprised when they told me it was too cold. I was too young to comprehend that other places have beaches without the sand and sun. I was also told they rarely have rice during meals. I thought everyone ate rice back then and this really discouraged me from going there. hahaha

Thank you for this. Might have to read up about Irelad and see if I'll change my mind about wanting to go there.

• Kamille
      Kamille commented
      Editing a comment
      Bjun Wow! a wedding in Ireland! Must be nice!
      If you are looking for beautiful beaches, I think Philippines has the most beautiful ones. I know you've heard this before but Boracay really is like a slice of paradise, and Cebu is a really good diving spot. Just plan your trip during off peaks so it wouldn't be too crowded.

• Skye
      Skye commented
      Editing a comment
      I can understand why you would want to go to Ireland.

Being a sucker for historical romance novels, I'd probably go with you there. And make a trip to Scotland too!

What might be a fun activity to do while on vacation or to do in view of Covid-19? It would've been fun if it was a zombie apocalypse. At least one can see what to avoid rather than this darn virus which is invisible.

Comment

• Kamille
      Kamille commented
      Editing a comment
      You're right, it's harder to fight off an invisible virus, but I'm also not yet ready for zombies either. I'm making a mental note to get back on my cardio just in case

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      Gerhard A zombie apocalypse is just too extreme. With the virus, at least we can prevent the spread of infection simply by washing our hands, using disinfectant and wearing masks. With a zombie apocalypse, you simply have to run faster than the zombies to not get bitten, I guess.

I'm surviving the pandemic, not so sure I will survive a zombie apocalypse..hahahah

Oh my! I would love to be able to go anywhere after this pandemic is done. I always loved the beach as I grew up in the province, near the beach. Literally near the beach, hahaha. I am not much of a traveler, but man, this quarantine makes me want to travel here and there. It would be nice to see my relatives again and meet new people along the way. I miss the usual things we do before like watching movies, mailing, going to church, and eating out

Comment

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      Lou The beach seems to be quite a popular choice for travel. I live close to the beach as well and realised I've taken that for granted. I can totally relate about seeing relatives again. Our eldest brother's family lives about 3hrs away from us and we couldn't even go visit them. We used to see them every few weeks and now we just settle for video calls. I'm really looking forward to the day we can travel freely again.

Sun, sea, sand and surf... and no kids. I need a break from them. Even a staycation is great as long as they are taken off my hands. Even just a weekend without them.

Comment

• Skye
      Skye commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be perfect, kdy. Sun, sea, sand, surf, and sleep. Heaven on earth.

• jcoppi29
      jcoppi29 commented
      Editing a comment
      This is why I'm glad I don't have kids, nor am I planning to have any. I think I'm fine with adopting stray dogs or pets, but having kids of my own, really a big no no for me considering current global events. lmao

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      Skye I don't have kids but I can somehow relate to this as my brother left my nieces with us as he and his wife couldn't work from home. I used to see them only every weekend but now, we only get a break from them during the weekend. It's been a struggle keeping my youngest niece occupied so she wouldn'tl interrupt work.

But honestly, when I think about vacations, I think of spending it with them still. All of us needed a break from our monotonous lives.

Why do I keep coming back to this post? I want to go on vacation. Now. Does anyone know how to teleport?
    Attached Files

Comment

• Skye
      Skye commented
      Editing a comment
      Wouldn't it be nice to be able to teleport, @Bjun?

Have you seen Taiwan? They have adjusted and somewhat living normal lives. I guess that is what you get if your health policies are actually backed by science.

• mjmnl
      mjmnl commented
      Editing a comment
      My friends abroad (specifically my friends from Macau, Vietnam, South Korea, and Thailand) also post their daily lives on different social media platforms. Social gathering is already allowed in their country. Some of them don't have to wear masks anymore but they still feel safe. I feel happy for them for being able to win the battle against this virus but I can't stop myself from getting envious. I hope we can survive this pandemic soon too.
      Last edited by mjmnl; 11-17-2020, 05:39 AM.

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      Skye No, I haven't really seen news about Taiwan but I heard NZ has won the fight against COVID. So true about policies being backed by science. It's so tiresome when politics come first even during a pandemic.

I love travelling. My last travel was June of last year. I promised myself I'd travel every year. The stars this year do not agree with me though. Although I really am glad I was able to go to the beach before the lockdown.

I read "The Historian" several years ago, and it has piqued my interest in Dracula. Since then I have wanted to go to Romania and Budapest. Maybe if I can save more this year and the next, then I can really go and travel to these places in 2022.

Btw, this is just me making my own travel goals. But let's see

Comment

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      kdy Nothing's impossible. I also aimed to travel every year and I didn't really get a vacation before the lockdown. Budapest and Romania, I'll have to check that as well. When I think of Dracula, I think of old castles and that's something I'd definitely be intested in.

I'm hoping to go see the Sagrada Familia next year, if I'm lucky and travel restrictions are lifted.

Who has plans for Christmas vacation? A quite secluded beach sounds about nice this time of the year. Covid-free and cheap from all of the cancelled bookings or closed hotels/resorts.

Comment

• Kamille
      Kamille commented
      Editing a comment
      I was planning our Christmas vacation like I always do each year. But then, I found out most if not all resorts do not allow kids and people over 60. Christmas is for family, and I'd rather celebrate at home with them than be at the beach alone. I don't mind as long as we are all safe. I'm just hoping 2021 will be a much better year for us all.

• kdy
      kdy commented
      Editing a comment
      I booked a reservation in one of the resorts in a nearby town, but I told them to let me know as soon as they receive more bookings for the same date. unfortunately, they did call to tell me that another group was also making a reservation. So here I am, scouring Airbnb for private homes with pools (chlorinated pools), so I can bring my kids out.

• Skye
      Skye commented
      Editing a comment
      My family and I are going camping! Found a place that allows such. Kids are allowed. Pets are allowed. So far so good. I just hope they do not close borders again.

It would be nice to be able to go out again as a family. It's been months since the pandemic and we all deserve a break and a breath of fresh air. A trip to the beach would be nice. However, since the pandemic is still here, I am not confident about traveling this year. I have kids and I'd rather stay home to keep my family safe. Soon, we will all be able to travel again. Keeping my fingers crossed 🤞🏾🤞🏾🤞🏾

Comment

Working...
    X