Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What inspired you to take up photography?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What inspired you to take up photography?

Post your photos here.

Touching the clouds.

Comment

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, yes! Gone were the days when we had numerous films and is careful about every shot otherwise we run out of films. I've never experienced developing films in a dark room, it sounds quite interesting. Now, it's all about editing.

What happened to your old photos btw?

• kdy
      kdy commented
      Editing a comment
      I am not really sure what happened to most of my prints. Had this funny, embarrassing experience though...

We had to take portrait shots, and I needed to have different people to play as subjects. One of the categories is nude silhouette pictures. I had to beg my subjects to model for me. I convinced them telling them that the pics will not show their faces and that we will do the silhouette kind. I promised them i'd give them the film and the prints after the project. Problem was, I couldn't rent a studio so we had to make do with our own lighting and setting.

As I was developing the films.. My heart stopped, and I just wanted to die right there and then. I wasn't able to achieve the nude silhouette images. And each of their faces showed in the prints....I had to burn them all. I still have contact with my subjects to date... they didn't kill me

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      kdy Hahahah..that sounds like a fun shoot to do and I guess it's something you and your friends will never forget about. Good friends, too, agreeing to do a nude photo shoot for you. It would be different nowadays, so much easier to edit photos to achieve a nude silhouette picture.

I have always admired travel photos in magazines and online portfolios. While browsing my travel pictures, I saw this photo of Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi that I took a year ago and I realised that photos make you remember moments and feelings. This inspired me to learn more about photography and learn about different techniques to improve this interest of mine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AbuDhabiSunset.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.6 KB ID:	321
    Last edited by mjmnl; 04-22-2020, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• Alex_Ivanovski
      Alex_Ivanovski commented
      Editing a comment
      Spectacular! I love how the sun and light have been used to enhance the photograph. Environmental factors can certainly make or break the photo and its creative slant

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      This looks amazing. Is this a sunset shot? I like how it looks so peaceful with noone else there. Care to share the techniques you've learned to improve your photography skills? I've been told I like colours to pop too much and to tone it down, which I find very difficult to do.

Thunderstorm on the bay

Comment

• GladysMae
      GladysMae commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! Looks like a skull coming out of the sky. Powerful shot.

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      I find it difficult to take a pic of the lightning because it's gone in a flash (literally). I tried multiple shots but it just came out blurry. What did you do to take this shot? This is an amazing picture. I love how the bay looked peaceful with a sinister background.

For me its inspiration, peace, beauty and memories. I am not surprised why it is such a popular hobby genre and those who do it for profit seem to be truly enthusiasts who love their work.

Comment

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. There are moments that will happen only once in a lifetime and you would be so lucky if you can capture that. I like photography because I always thought when I grow old and my memory is gone, at least I have something younger generations can look at and give them a glimpse of my life. It's the same when I look at my grandparents and parents old pictures. Their lives are so different than ours and I can only imagine how different my nieces and nephews lives will be in a few years and how they would react when they see old pictures of themselves or their parents.

I simply love capturing moments. Life is a journey; and photography immortalizes your adventures.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1052.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	356

Comment

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      That is so true. Is this a pic of your family? I like capturing candid shots of random people although I'm not crossing a line (some people don't like their pics taken). I especially like taking pictures of older people doing everyday stuff. I like the lines on their faces or their toothless smiles. I just like how natural they look, I guess. No vanity.

• Kamille
      Kamille commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it is Bjun. I know what you mean with capturing photos of the elderly. I used to always catch myself taking candid photos of random old people on the street or at the mall ( before the pandemic). I have always admired how time graciously age their skin, and I used to imagine each line on their face tells a story. And yes, no vanity.

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      Kamille Right? There is something charming about old people. Hopefully, we will have more opportunities to photograph them once the pandemic is over. Old people are not allowed to go out these days anyway.

I was going through some class pictures and I had a lot of fun looking at the expressions of the people caught on camera. Those precious emotions and thoughts glimpsed in the photos were priceless. So now, I love taking candid shots of people's faces, catching those moments showing a little look into their souls.

Comment

Photos make us remember the moments that we treasure. The daily activities that we do, our travels, special events, childhood, and all other things that can never happen again. I love travelling because countries and places are all unique. The culture and nature vary and we learn so much by experiencing it first hand. With the photographs that we took, we get to reminisce and remember the good things and even the bad things that happened. Sharing this photo that I took in Melbourne. This made me miss exploring places and life pre-COVID.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5308.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	1186

Comment

• Kamille
      Kamille commented
      Editing a comment
      This is a beautiful photo mjmnl! Did you do some editing? I love the lines and I feel like its telling me a story that happened in that place.
      I miss travelling, too. We had a couple of plans last summer that we had to cancel because of the pandemic. I hope this will all be over soon so we can go back to our ways pre-covid.
      Last edited by Kamille; 08-28-2020, 10:20 AM.

I can't even take a decent selfie. Not sure if using a gimbal will improve the stability of me taking photos to a decent level fingers crossed semi-professional. Mirrorless cameras and latest smartphones that flash on the screen "keep it steady for sharper images" just take my patience away.

Comment

I agree that it helps us treasure moments in life. It gives us physical evidence of the experiences we had, how we felt in those moments, and reminds us of something we can look forward to. It also gives us different perspectives on places and things. Photography let's us travel through people and moments of time.

Comment

Working...
      X