Career Change at 40, Yay or Nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career Change at 40, Yay or Nay?

A friend of mine asked me for advice about switching careers. She is in her mid-30’s and she wonders if it’s too late to change careers. She has been working in the same industry for more than 15 years. Getting another degree and/or learning a new skill means she might be starting again at 40.

A lot of people change careers in their 20’s or early 30’s. Although they say that 40 is the new 20, is it really worth the risk? She has a good job now, which is not affected by the pandemic. I know switching careers is a big decision so I sent her this article to help her decide: https://www.thebalancecareers.com/ca...-at-40-4152909

Have you switched careers? What steps did you take?

Yay!

Have you listened to the speech Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann? I like listening to it whenever i don't feel okay.

One advice he gave is: "Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don’t."

So if suddenly you realize (even at 40) that you finally know what you want to do, then I say that you go for it.

When I was very young, I wanted to be a dentist, and I was offered to go back to school so I could study dentistry when I was in my late 20s. At the time, I realized that I don't want to be a dentist. But quite recently, I realized that I wanted to become an interior designer. I realized that this has been my interest since I was very young, but did not realize it until I was in my early or mid 30s.

Let's not be discouraged by age. One of my regrets is allowing the anxiety of how long it may actually take me to achieve my goal stop me from actually taking steps. Several years after, I realized that time just flew by, and that it was fast. If I took that step when I first thought of it, I would have already made it.

Comment

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for that. Will definitely check Baz Luhrmann. Will you be making that switch to be an interior designer?

I agree. One of the biggest thing to consider is the time it would take to achieve a goal. And then, that fear of failure when you've spent a lot of time and money on switching careers only to not make it.

• kdy
      kdy commented
      Editing a comment
      It was before the pandemic when I realized that I wanted to become an interior designer. Given our current situation, I am not very sure I can push for it. However, I have already taken baby steps. I already submitted my readmission application in school. Wish me luck ​​​​​​​

• Bjun
      Bjun commented
      Editing a comment
      kdy Wow! That's great! Good luck, I'm sure you'll get in.

It's crazy I feel lik everything is on pause because of the pandemic. It's nice to hear other people who are still going after their dreams during this difficult times.

Yay!

Coz why not?

Comment

Life Begins At 40 for men... well it used to before Covid-19. So now it is more of Stay Alive Beyond 40 while Covid-19 is here! Not sure what it was for women though.

Comment

• kdy
        kdy commented
        Editing a comment
        Please, I hope not!!!! ​​​​​​​​ Not ready for that yet!

• Skye
        Skye commented
        Editing a comment
        Gerhard, menopause has its advantages... I hope. hahahaha...

• Gerhard
        Gerhard commented
        Editing a comment
        There is no such thing as advantages hahahaha

If she has enough savings to support their financial needs while she explore or learn a new skill, then go for it. But if she doesn't and she has bills and mouths to feed, I'd suggest learning a new skill while working, or maybe start a new job as a part time gig while still keeping her current job. There is no deadline in learning something new. I just think that during this economic climate and assuming that her work and work environment is not affecting her mental health, its risky to give up a stable job.
      Last edited by Kamille; 10-01-2020, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• Skye
        Skye commented
        Editing a comment
        Obligation before exploration. It's just kinda sad especially for those people who had had the burden of responsibility for so long. Those who were strapped with obligations at a young age. Yet still have not broken free of it when they turn 40.

But you see, 40 is usually the age where one has already sharpened their skills for a particular craft. You may not be able to switch careers. But you can always sell your skills to the highest bidder.

• Kamille
        Kamille commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd normally say yes to a career change. But given the current situation where a lot of companies are struggling and most establishments have closed, I'd think twice before I explore and give up a stable job. Maybe its anxiety of being unemployed or over things that are currently happening that are out of control. I just think its a bold move during a pandemic, especially for those who have obligations. And you're right, its sad for those who are trapped with responsibilities, but unemployment is a heavier burden and the economy is a lot more unpredictable now.
        But if she can afford to explore to greener pasture, and nothing is stopping her, then yes, take the leap!
        Last edited by Kamille; 10-07-2020, 01:25 PM.

• mjmnl
        mjmnl commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the same thoughts. For other people, it's easy to shift to a different career because they don't have obligations anymore and they have the capacity to take the risk. On the other hand, some people still have a long list of responsibility and career change might put their family in debt or worst, be homeless. If you are one of the people who are already financially stable, then go for it! Everyone has their own timeline anyway.
        Last edited by mjmnl; 10-07-2020, 07:30 AM.

Yay, coz Gary Vee says so.

He has this mantra of Eff what others think -- what matters is what you think and believe in.

Comment

If you are able and have nothing else preventing you to do so, why not? As they say whether you shift careers or not, you will still turn 40 or are 40. Better do it when you can, don't let a number stop you.

Comment

This pandemic has made me realize a lot of things. I've come to appreciate the little things that we have and realized how truly blessed our family is. I have nothing against changing careers. However, if you can feed your family and you are happy with what you do, I think I'd choose to settle. Of course, you can always do other things that make you happy on the side. You may do some hobbies from time to time to help you destress and appreciate the things you have and be thankful for in life.

Well, you may also look for a part-time job that you like and maybe take it from there. Nothing is ever too late. We all have our own timeline. You never know, maybe 40 is your time to shine 🌟🌟🌟

Comment

Changing career at 40 is not an easy decision to make because it affects so much in your life especially if there are people who still depend on you. She can use the time we have during this pandemic to think deeply about this big decision. You may want her to read this article (https://jobs.telegraph.co.uk/article...reer-after-40/). I find it useful in evaluating career choices and deciding if it is a wise decision to switch careers after all these years. It's also a good read for anyone who wants to know if they are on the right path that they want to be in the long run.

Comment

• jcoppi29
              jcoppi29 commented
              Editing a comment
              the idea that there are dependents is one of the reasons I'm likely not going to have kids, unless of course I make it big and stable. I much prefer adopting stray dogs because they don't rebel nor have that teenage rebel phase all over, not to mention the added anxiety.
          Working...
          X