No announcement yet.

Job interview tips - Share your suggestions and insights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really rusty on this one. It's good to read up on it and getting advice from real people. These are really good practical tips.

Comment

Phone and video interviews are frequently used now more than ever because of the pandemic.

Even though the recruiters won't be able to see us during phone interviews, we should still prepare as much as we can. This video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDBUZCjWEPs) recommends us to put as much effort as if we are meeting the hiring manager in person. Even recommended us to dress up formally during the telephone interview. You may want to check the video out for some tips that you could use.

For some companies and recruiters, they go straight to video interviews. I do believe that video interviews are almost the same with face to face since non-verbal communication is also observable. Here is a link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNTl69SwFm0&t=179s) of a video for tips on how to look good and be better in presenting yourself during a video call.

Comment

• Kamille
        Kamille commented
        Editing a comment
        I think phone interviews are oftentimes used for eliminating applicants, so we have to equally prepare for it. I agree with you that dressing up can help boost your "presence" and make you feel like you are actually on an actual interview. However, I'd like to add that we have to do a thorough system check at least half an hour before the phone or video interview. Check you microphone, speakers, you internet connection and your phone reception. Make sure everything is working perfectly. Especially now that most of us are working from home, you'd want to make an impression that your tools and devices are ready in case they decide to hire you.

• mjmnl
        mjmnl commented
        Editing a comment
        Great advice with the thorough system check before the interview. I had an experience with a technical difficulty during a call from a recruiter. It was scheduled in the afternoon. I was already having trouble with my phone's battery at that time and it turns off once it reaches 10%. I was in the middle of the interview when my phone suddenly died. The recruiter understood my situation and gave me another chance to start over again with the interview. It was totally my fault as I failed to check the battery percentage before the call. We can all refrain that from happening again by doing this system check.
        Last edited by mjmnl; 08-28-2020, 04:58 AM.

Was dressing smart or fit for the job already mentioned? Most nowadays have forgotten the proper attire to wear in a job interview. From formal/business like to casual nowadays.

Comment

• JerryYan
        JerryYan commented
        Editing a comment
        I think it's also important to research the observed dress codes by the employees and use that as a set point on how to show up for your interview. This is to not over dress or accidentally misjudge the environment of the place. This also shows how you want to blend in and quickly adapt to the company.

Your digital footprints matter. You may need to hide your embarrassing youtube videos or any drunk, racist and inappropriate tweets if you're looking for a job. https://www.job-hunt.org/job-search-...presence.shtml

Comment

• jcoppi29
        jcoppi29 commented
        Editing a comment
        It's scary how the internet never forgets and how this has led to this toxic cancel culture that judges people from tweets and social media things they've done when they were still growing up or were totally different, naive versions of themselves.

It's like being assessed not on who you are, but who you were -- for the sake of being politically correct, and pseudo-morality.

• JerryYan
        JerryYan commented
        Editing a comment
        It is also equally important for hiring to separate deeply rooted causes of obliviousness to personal prejudices. Growing up, we may create physical evidences of our ignorance but making up with it by the organizations and fields we associate ourselves with that may be seen in our resumes or the trainings we undergo may show your progress from it. This is aside from the possible responses you may provide if ever you make it to the interview. 😂

Classic (New Norm) for Employment Interview under Covid-19.
      Do I wear a mask to the interview? Should I eliminate the traditional handshake? Is it rude to ask to wash my hands before starting the interview? How does this all work now?

Comment

• mjmnl
        mjmnl commented
        Editing a comment
        Great tips for those who are *for some reason* invited for a personal interview. But I guess, it's really needed in some industry. Like the one in the article, she's applying for a job at a restaurant. Of course, at some point in time, her presence in the workplace will be required. Unlike in some office jobs where employees can work effectively virtually. I couldn't agree more with the tips about the facemask and the absence of handshakes. I think it's also wise to follow the health protocol, it might give the employer the impression that you follow the rules deliberately.

• Kamille
        Kamille commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree. Wearing masks and following an establishment's health protocol show respect, not only to the company but also to everyone working there. I'd like to add that it's also important to reschedule if you have any Covid-19 symptom. Protecting our health as well as the people around us is crucial during these times.
    Working...
    X